- In the postseason, Kevin Miller simply elevates his game. The senior hit his fourth career home run and third in the tournament in two years, and flashed some serious leather at third to lead the Bearkats to an 8-3 victory over McNeese State in the opening game of the Southland Conference Tournament at Constellation Field.
- The pair join 10 other players on the academic all-conference squad. The team is selected by vote of the league’s head tennis coaches, sports information directors and academic/compliance. Student-athletes must possess a 3.0 cumulative GPA, have completed one full academic year the nominating institution and participated in at least 50 percent of the team’s competition to qualify for the all-academic squad.
- Action at the 2013 NCAA Division I West Outdoor Track and Field Preliminary Round begins Thursday for Sam Houston’s nine entries.
The three days of competition take place at Mike A. Myers Stadium and feature some of the nation's premier student-athletes.
- For the second consecutive season, third baseman Kevin Miller and catcher Anthony Azar have been voted to the All-Southland Conference first team, while David Pierce was named Coach of the Year.
- Sam Houston State graduate student Shelby Hardy is the 2013 Southland Women's Golf “Student-Athlete of the Year”, the league office announced Monday in conjunction with the release of the Academic All-Conference women's golf team.
- Sam Houston State defeated Central Arkansas, 7-3, on the back of starter Tyler Eppler’s seven-inning outing. With the win, the Bearkats (34-18, 18-7) claim at least a share of their second consecutive Southland Championship.
- Mike Collins, formerly assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at McNeese State, is joining the Sam Houston State football staff Bearkat director of athletics Bobby Williams and head coach Willie Fritz have announced.