- Sam Houston State defeated Central Arkansas, 7-3, on the back of starter Tyler Eppler’s seven-inning outing. With the win, the Bearkats (34-18, 18-7) claim at least a share of their second consecutive Southland Championship.
- Mike Collins, formerly assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at McNeese State, is joining the Sam Houston State football staff Bearkat director of athletics Bobby Williams and head coach Willie Fritz have announced.
- Paced by gold medals by Karique Stephen, De’Quad Binder and Matthew Johnson, the Sam Houston men’s team finished as the runner-up in the 2013 Southland Conference Outdoor Track & Field Championships Sunday in Lake Charles, La.
- Caleb Smith’s complete game shutout led the Bearkats to a 4-0 win over Southeastern Louisiana in the first of two games Sunday. The win clinched the series victory even though the Kats lost, 5-1, in game two.
- Cody Dickson pitched seven scoreless innings and struck out seven to lead the Bearkats to a 4-1 win in the opening game against Southeastern Louisiana. The teams will play a doubleheader tomorrow starting at 11:45 a.m.
- Totaling 12 hits off All-Southland pitcher Kylie Roos, Sam Houston forced a “winner-take-all” championship game on the last day of the Southland softball tournament with a 5-0 win over Northwestern State.
- A 5-4 loss to Northwestern State in a “winner-take-all” final Saturday in Natchitoches ended an amazing run by the No. 3 seeded Bearkats in the 2013 Southland Conference softball tournament.