BIRMINGHAM, Ala. --- Texas A&M defensive end Damontre Moore earned Southeastern Conference Co-Defensive Lineman of the Week honors on Monday after his three-sack performance against the Florida Gators on Saturday.
Moore, a junior from Rowlett, Texas, was outstanding in his first career start at defensive end with 10 total tackles and three sacks of Gator quarterback Jeff Driskel. The three sacks were a career high for Moore, and he took the early national lead in the NCAA quarterback sack statistical rankings. He ranked No. 21 nationally with 8.5 sacks in 12 games last season.
Moore was also honored by the College Sports Performance Awards (CFPA) as Honorable Mention Defensive Lineman of the Week. Senior punter Ryan Epperson received CFPA Honorable Mention Punter of the Week honors after averaging 49.8 yards on six punts with a long boot of 61 yards and two punts downed inside the opponent 20-yard line. Epperson’s net average for the game was an impressive 49.7.
SEC FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK (Games of September 8, 2012)
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
6-4 • 220 • Jr. • Meridian, Miss.
• Russel led Mississippi State to a 28-10 victory over Auburn in the SEC opener for both teams, State's first win in an SEC opener since 1999.
• He completed 20-of-29 passes for 222 yards and three touchdowns without an interception.
• Russell led the Bulldogs on three touchdown drives in its first four second half possessions as State scored 21 unanswered points to seal the game.
• He completed passes to nine different receivers.
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
6-3 • 241 • Jr. • Columbus, Ga.
• Jones had the second-most tackles for the Bulldogs (9), two sacks/TFLs, an interception, two forced fumbles and five quarterback pressures during Georgia’s 41-20 victory over Missouri.
• Jones now has 16.5 sacks over his last 16 games and 24 tackles for loss in that span and is leading the SEC in TFLs this season.
• Jones’ first career INT came midway through the final quarter with the Bulldogs up 27-20 as he managed to grab the pick and return it 21 yards to the Tiger 1-yard line.
• On Missouri’s next possession, Jones sacked James Franklin for a loss of 11 yards and forced a fumble that the Bulldogs recovered deep in Tiger territory.
SEC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
5-9 • 185 • So. • DeSoto, Texas
• Sturgis connected on both of his field goal attempts and accounted for eight points in Florida’s 20-17 win at Texas A&M.
• He connected on a 51-yard field goal in the second quarter, which closed the Aggie lead to 17-10 going into halftime.
• Sturgis extended his school record of 50-plus yard kicks to seven, which is also tops among all active kickers nationally.
• He now has 100 career PATs made and his 76.9 career field goal percentage is currently 10th in SEC history.
SEC Co-OFFENSIVE LINEMAN PLAYER OF THE WEEK
6-3 • 343 • Sr. • Richmond, Ky.
• Warford graded out at 91.7 percent with eight knockdown blocks, no penalties and allowed no sacks in Kentucky’s 47-14 win againt Kent State. UK’s 47 points and 539 yards total offense were the most since 2010
6-1 • 310 • Sr. • Lithonia, Ga.
• Hawkins helped the Ole Miss offense rack up 538 total yards, including 332 on the ground, in a 28-10 win over UTEP. He made his 18th career start and second at right guard after playing center and left guard his first three seasons.
SEC Co-DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
6-5 • 260 • Jr. • Greenwood, S.C.
• Montgomery registered 4 tackles, 1 sack (3-yard loss) and 1.5 TFL (4-yard loss) in LSU’s 41-3 win over Washington. He also added 3 QB hurries as the Tigers held Washington to only 12 first downs and 183 yards of total offense.
6-4 • 250 • Jr. • Rowlett, Texas
• Moore registered 10 total tackles, seven solos, and had three QB sacks (-21 yards) in Texas A&M’s 20-17 loss to Florida. Moore now leads the nation in sacks per game (3.00) and is fifth in tackles for loss per game (3.00).
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
6-0 • 185 • DeSoto, Texas
• Mills, a true freshman, made his second straight start at cornerback for the Tigers and was second on team with 7 tackles to go with first interception of career in 41-3 win over Washington.
• He added one pass breakup as the Tiger defense dominated the Huskies, holding Washington to just 183 yards of total offense (26 rushing, 157 passing).
• Washington’s longest drive was just 45 yards and outside of LSU fumbling the opening kickoff at its own 16-yardline, the Huskies never got inside the LSU 30-yard line the entire game.
OTHER OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES FROM WEEK 2
· LB C.J. MOSLEY (Alabama) -- Recorded game-high 11 tackles with a sack and pass deflection in Alabama’s 35-0 win against Western Kentucky.
· WR KEVIN NORWOOD (Alabama) -- Caught three passes for a game-high 92 yards and two touchdowns in Alabama’s 35-0 win against Western Kentucky.
· TE CHRIS GRAGG (Arkansas) -- Caught team-high seven passes for 83 yards in Arkansas’ 34-31 loss to Louisiana-Monroe.
· RB/RS ONTERIO McCALEBB (Auburn) -- Returned kick 100 yards for a touchdown and accounted for 149 all-purpose yards in Auburn’s 28-10 loss at Mississippi State.
· RB MIKE GILLISLEE (Florida) -- Rushed for 83 yards and two touchdowns in Florida’s 20-17 win at Texas A&M.
· SE MARLON BROWN (Georgia) -- Hauled in a career-high eight catches for 106 yards and two touchdowns in Georgia’s 41-20 win at Missouri.
· QB MAXWELL SMITH (Kentucky) -- Completed 30-of-39 passes for 354 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions in Kentucky’s 47-14 win against Kent State.
· QB BO WALLACE (Ole Miss) -- Completed 15-of-22 passes for 174 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for 53 yards and a TD in Ole Miss’ 28-10 win against UTEP.
· DB JOHNTHAN BANKS (Mississippi State) -- Registered six total tackles and two interceptions in the Bulldogs’ 28-10 win against Auburn.
· QB JAMES FRANKLIN (Missouri) -- Completed 25-of-41 passes for 269 yards with two TDs and an interception in Missouri’s 41-20 loss to Georgia.
· QB DYLAN THOMPSON (South Carolina) -- In his first career start, completed 21-of-37 passes for 330 yards and three touchdowns in South Carolina’s 48-10 win over East Carolina.
· CB JIMMY LEGREE (South Carolina) -- Tied for team-high five total tackles and returned an interception for a touchdown in South Carolina’s 48-10 win over East Carolina.
· QB TYLER BRAY (Tennessee) -- Completed 18-of-20 passes for 310 yards and four touchdowns in Tennessee’s 51-13 win against Georgia State.
· DL COREY MILLER (Tennessee) -- Had six tackles with 1.5 for losses, including a sack, in Tennessee’s 51-13 win against Georgia State.
· OLB KARL BUTLER (Vanderbilt) -- Tallied five total tackles (four solos) with 2.5 for losses (-7 yards) in Vanderbilt’s 23-13 loss at Northwestern.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.