AUSTIN, Texas – Former conference foes and longtime rivals Texas A&M and No. 1 seed Texas will clash in the second round of the NCAA Women’s Volleyball Championship tonight at 7 p.m. at Gregory Gym.
Tickets to the match are still available and can be purchased online at TexasSports.com; by phone at 512-471-3333; or in person at the UT Athletics Ticket Office in Bellmont Hall until 4 p.m. or at Gregory Gym starting one hour prior to each match.
• Reserved: SOLD OUT*
• General admission, adult: $10
• General admission, student and youth: $6
Follow the Action:
TV: Longhorn Network (Paul Sunderland and Nell Fortner)
Audio (Texas A&M): AggieAthletics.com (Chelsea Reber and Casey Richardson)
Live stats: CBSsports.com
The winner of the match will advance to the Sweet Sixteen at the Lincoln (Neb.) Regional in Lincoln, Neb., Dec 13-14.
Texas A&M advanced to the second round with a 3-0 (26-24, 25-21, 25-18) victory over UTSA in the first round. Texas was a 3-0 (25-13, 26-24, 25-16) winner over Texas State in the other first round match in Austin on Thursday.
Match Preview Notes
A&M in NCAA Second Round matches:
· A&M has advanced to the second round for the third consecutive year and the 18th time overall
· A&M is making its 16th appearance in the second round in 17 trips to the NCAA tournament under head coach Laurie Corbelli
· A&M is 6-11 all-time in second round matches, including 6-9 under Corbelli
A&M NCAA Tournament Records:
· A&M is 25-20 all-time in the NCAA tournament
· A&M is 23-16 all-time in the NCAA tournament under head coach Laurie Corbelli
Texas A&M vs. Texas in the NCAAs:
· This is the second consecutive year A&M has faced Texas in the second round in Austin
· Last year, Texas defeated A&M 3-1 (25-16, 19-25, 25-19, 25-18) in the second round in Austin
· A&M is 1-4 all-time against Texas in the NCAA tournament, including a loss to the Longhorns in the 2009 regional semifinals in Omaha, Neb.
· A&M is 1-3 vs. Texas in the NCAA second round only, including 0-3 in matches played in Austin
· A&M’s only NCAA win against Texas was a 3-0 victory in the second round of the 2001 tournament, played in College Station
· A&M coach Laurie Corbelli is 1-2 against Texas in second round matches only
Texas A&M vs. Texas in the All-Time Series
· There are discrepancies in the all-time series between A&M and Texas
· A&M lists the all-time series as Texas leading 66-23, including 35-4 in matches played in Austin
· Texas has won the last four meetings, three of which were played in Austin
· A&M’s most victory against the Longhorns was Sept. 16, 2010, as the Aggies stunned the No. 8 Longhorns, 3-0 (25-22, 25-18, 25-23) in the Big 12 Conference season opener at Reed Arena in College Station
· A&M senior Allie Sawatzky was a freshman starting setter for the Aggies in the 2010 victory against Texas
Texas A&M Notes from First Round Match (A&M vs. UTSA):
· Sophomore opposite hitter Sierra Patrick had a career-high seven blocks and tied redshirt freshman middle blocker Jazzmin Babers for match-high honors in the Aggies’ sweep against UTSA
· Babers tied her career high in kills for the fifth time with 10
· Senior libero Heather Reynolds had a team-high 14 digs, marking the 10th consecutive match she has reached double figures in digs
· Senior setter Allie Sawatzky has started every match of her career (122)
· Senior defensive specialist Kelsey Kinley, from College Station, is celebrating her 22nd birthday as the Aggies and Longhorns meet in the NCAA second round on Dec. 6
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.