COLLEGE STATION, TX -- The Texas A&M men’s basketball team returns to action on its home court Thursday night as the Aggies play host to Prairie View A&M in a 7:00 p.m. contest at Reed Arena.
The game will be televised by FSN on FSN Southwest, FSN Southwest Plus or Fox College Sports depending on your cable provider. Check your local listings or with your cable provider for availability in your area.
Texas A&M (2-0) is riding the confidence of back-to-back victories to begin the season as the Aggies enter Thursday looking to continue their strong start to the 2012-13 campaign. Led by guard Elston Turner’s career-high 26 points, A&M defeated Troy 83-65 on Monday during its last time on the court.
The senior from Sacramento, Calif., made 9-of-14 field goal attempts including four from behind the 3-point arc as Turner topped his previous high-water mark in points which he set last season at Kansas.
As a team the Aggies displayed impressive ball movement in victory over the Trojans as they racked up 21 assists on 29 made field goals, led by a game-high six from freshman guard J’Mychal Reese.
A&M also continued its consistent shooting from the charity stripe as it converted 18-of-20 free throw attempts, led by 4-for-4 efforts from forwards Kourtney Roberson and Ray Turner. On the season, the Aggies are shooting an impressive .818 team percentage from the free throw line.
The Panthers, meanwhile, enter Thursday’s contest with a 2-1 record after consecutive home victories over Schreiner and Arlington Baptist which followed a season-opening loss at Texas Tech. Prairie View A&M is led by sixth-year head coach Byron Rimm II.
Overall, the Aggies have held the upper hand in the all-time series with Prairie View A&M by winning all 10 previous meetings between the schools on the hardwood.
Tickets for Thursday’s game are available on game day at Reed Arena or by logging onto tickets.12thmanfoundation.com.
Season tickets are also on sale and fans are encouraged to make sure they have a seat for all the exciting Aggie basketball action by visiting the 12th Man Foundation's Ticket Center or calling 1-(888)-992-4443.
• The Aggies made it two straight wins to open the 2012-13 season on Monday by downing Troy 83-65 at Reed Arena ... it marked the 10th straight year the Aggies have started a season with consecutive victories.
• Senior Elston Turner turned in a career-high 26 points in the win over the Trojans, going 9-for-14 from the field including a 4-for-7 mark from beyond the 3-point arc ... Turner's previous best scoring contest game came on Jan. 23, 2012, when he tallied 24 points at Kansas.
• The Aggies are 102-10 (.910) all-time in non-conference games inside Reed Arena, which hosted its first basketball game in the fall of 1998.
• Texas A&M owns a 10-0 all-time series lead over Prairie View A&M ... A&M's Billy Kennedy has never faced the Panthers while his counterpart, PVAMU's Byron Rimm II, is 0-2 in his career against the Aggies.
• Following the Prairie View A&M contest, the Aggies will leave the friendly confines of Reed Arena for the first time this season, visiting Kansas City's Sprint Center for the semifinals of the 2012 Edward Jones CBE Hall of Fame Classic ... the event will see the Aggies face Saint Louis on Nov. 19 before returning to the court the next day to face either Kansas or Washington State.
• The Aggies have been one of the country's most consistent free throw shooting teams through the season's opening week, going 36-for-44 (.818) from the charity stripe ... they trail only South Carolina for the top spot among all SEC teams in FT percentage ... senior forward Ray Turner highlights the solid free throw shooting group as he is 8-for-8 from the line this season.
SCOUTING PRAIRIE VIEW A&M
• Prairie View A&M comes into Thursday game 2-1 on the season after dropping its season-opening contest at Texas Tech before rebounding with back-to-back home wins over Schreiner and Arlington Baptist.
• Senior guard Jourdan DeMuynck leads PVAMU in scoring, averaging 14 points per contest along with a team-high 7.5 rebounds per game while junior forward Josh Eleby chips in with a 13.3 point per game scoring average.
• The Panthers are coming off a 14-18 season a year ago that saw them finish third in the SWAC with a 10-8 league mark.
• Head coach Byron Rimm II is in his 6th season guiding the Panther men's basketball program ...He's 120-153 in nine total seasons as a collegiate head coach.
HOUSTON GAME TIME SET FOR 5:30 PM
The start time for the Texas A&M men’s basketball team’s contest at Houston on Dec. 1 has been moved to 5:30 p.m. to accommodate television coverage.
The game is slated to be televised on FSN as the Aggies travel to Hofheinz Pavilion for the first time since 2003.
The two schools, long-time league mates in the Southwest Conference, have met 83 times on the hardwood in program history with the Cougars owning a 53-30 edge in the all-time series. The two teams faced each other annually from the 1974-75 season through the 1995-96 campaign as SWC rivals.
Aggie Basketball Game #3:
Texas A&M (2-0; 0-0 SEC) vs. Prairie View A&M (2-1; 0-0 SWAC)
November 15, 2012 · 7:00 p.m. (CT)
Reed Arena (12,989)
College Station, Texas
TV: FSN (FSN Southwest, FSN Southwest Plus or Fox College Sports)
Bob Licht, Play-by-Play
Jim Haller, Commentary
-Check with your cable provider for channel number/availability in your area
RADIO: Texas A&M Radio Network
Dave South, Play-by-Play
Al Pulliam, Commentary
Local: WTAW-AM 1620 (College Station/Bryan)
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: AggieAthletics.com
TICKETS: Available at the door or online at tickets.12thManFoundation.com