OKLAHOMA CITY – The Texas A&M baseball team will seek to become only the second school to claim three consecutive conference tournament titles this week as it kicks off play during the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship at Oklahoma City’s Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Texas A&M (41-14) enters the tournament as one of the country’s hottest teams, sporting a 10-1 record in the month of May. The Aggies will be the field’s No. 2 seed and face seventh-seeded Kansas at 4 p.m. during Wednesday’s opening round.
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
WEDNESDAY (MAY 22) – 4:00 p.m.
Texas A&M - #15 Daniel Mengden (Fr., RHP, 2-3, 3.29)
Kansas - #19 Frank Duncan (So., RHP, 6-7, 2.81)
THURSDAY (MAY 23) – TBA
Texas A&M - #38 Michael Wacha (Jr., RHP, 8-0, 2.09)
Missouri or Texas - TBA
FOLLOWING THE ACTION
• TELEVISION — FSN will broadcast the championship game live on Sunday ... check local listings for more information.
• RADIO — Fans can listen locally on WTAW-AM 1620 ... Dave South (play-by-play), along with Kevin Hurley (color commentary) will call the action ... pregame show begins 30 minutes prior to first pitch.
• INTERNET — the tournament page on www.big12sports.com will offer live play-by-play, statistics and more ... Aggieatletics.com will provide game recaps, updated statistics and player interviews throughout the event.
• MOBILE PHONE — listen to the game on your iPhone, Blackberry or PDA free of charge ... log on to radioaggieland.com for more information.
BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP HISTORY
The Aggies are appearing for their 14th appearance in the 16-year history of the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship ... A&M is 26-19 overall at the tourney, winning the title in 2007, 2010 and 2011 while earning runner-up finishes in 1998 and 2001 ... last season, the Aggies were the No. 2 seed and claimed the title with a 10-9 win over Missouri in the championship game ... Texas (10 games) is A&M’s most common opponent at the event, followed by Oklahoma (9), Texas Tech (8), Oklahoma State (4), Baylor (4), Missouri (4), Kansas State (3) and Nebraska (3) ... the Aggies have never faced Kansas in the Big 12 Championship and did not play a game against Iowa State in the event’s first five seasons ... A&M is the No. 2 seed in the event for the third time ... a much more detailed Big 12 tourney history, including game-by-game linescores and records, can be found in the postseason supplement to this notes packet.
BIG 12 SNAPSHOT: TEXAS A&M (16-8)
• SERIES WINS — Kansas State (2-of-3), Missouri (2-of-3), Oklahoma (sweep), at Kansas (2-of-3), vs/at/at Texas (2-of-3), Texas Tech (2-of-3), at Oklahoma State (sweep)
• SERIES LOSSES — vs/at/at Baylor (swept).
A&M IN THE BIG 12
Texas A&M has a 245-194-2 (.558) record in 16 seasons in the Big 12 Conference ... the Aggies have won seven total league championships, regular-season titles in 1998, 1999, 2008 and 2011 and the postseason championship in 2007, 2010 and 2011 ... A&M finished second place in the league standing this year with a 16-8 conference record.