DAYTON, OH -- University of Dayton baseball will make its first appearance in the NCAA Regionals as a No. 4 seed against No. 1 seed Texas A&M beginning on Friday in College Station, Texas.
No. 2 seed TCU and No. 3 seed Ole Miss round out the College Station Regional. The four teams will compete in double-elimination format for a spot in the Super Regionals from June 8-11.
All the games in the Regional will be available to watch on ESPN3.com.
Dayton at a Glance
Dayton won nine of its last 10 games, including six consecutive, to capture the program’s first Atlantic 10 Conference tournament title – claiming the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Regionals. Senior right-handed pitcher Burny Mitchem was named the A-10 Championship Most Outstanding Player with two saves and a win during Dayton’s 3-0 tournament run.
Dayton leads the nation in stolen bases (162), featuring eight players with 10 or more steals. Senior shortstop Brian Blasik owns UD career (64) and single-season (35 - 2012) stolen base records.
Dayton was the A-10’s most productive offense all season, leading in batting average (.293), runs scored (360), hits (618), runs batted in (325), stolen bases (162) and total bases (842). Blasik and senior centerfielder Bobby Glover were both named A-10 First Team All-Conference.
The pitching staff is anchored by Second Team All-Conference righty Tim Bury with a 3.14 earned run average and 8-2 record. Seniors Burny Mitchem and Mike Hauschild are respectively ranked first-and-second in career strikeouts and second-and-third in career wins at Dayton. Mitchem has 24 wins 318 strikeouts, while Hauschild has 23 wins and 264 strikeouts.
After starting the season 2-9, Head Coach Tony Vittorio and a group of 10 contributing seniors led the Flyers’ resurgence to a share of the A-10 regular season title and its first NCAA tournament bid.
UD Athletics in the NCAA Tournament
Baseball is the fourth team from UD to compete in the NCAA tournament this academic year, joining volleyball, women’s soccer and women’s basketball. Volleyball, women’s basketball and now baseball have all competed in College Station for the NCAA tournament.
Team Awards Announced
Prior to the NCAA selection show, Head Coach Tony Vittorio announced the 2012 Team Awards.
Most Valuable Player: Bobby Glover
Most Valuable Pitcher: Tim Bury
Most Improved: Zach Stewart
Best Practice Player: Mike Coughlin
NCAA COLLEGE STATION REGIONAL TICKET INFORMATION (AggieAthletics.com)
Phone: 888-99-AGGIE (992-4443) or 979-845-2311
Ticket Center at Kyle Field: Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm
• Payment may be made by cash, MasterCard, Visa, AmEx, Discover.
• No promise of location is made or implied to any applicant.
• Tickets may not be refunded or exchanged.
• Disability seating may be requested by phone, online, or by mail. If mailing the application, please note that you require disability seating and include a phone number.
• Everyone, regardless of age, must have a ticket for Reserved sections. Children under 2 are admitted free of charge in General Admission.
• Unless specifically authorized by the NCAA, tickets may not be offered in a commercial promotion or as a prize in a sweepstakes or contest.
• Tickets may not be sold above face value.
• For more information, phone 888-99-AGGIE (992-4443) or 979-845-2311.