FRANKLIN, Tenn. – After a second place finish at regionals and individual titles in its last two events, the No. 10 Texas A&M women’s golf team begins play at the 2012 NCAA Women’s Golf Championship on Tuesday, May 22 at Vanderbilt Legends Club North Course. Action takes place through Friday, May 25 on the par-72, 6,377-yard course, with a single round scheduled for each day.
#10 TEXAS A&M AGGIES
at 2012 NCAA Women’s Golf Championship
Tuesday, May 22 - Friday, May 25, 2012
Vanderbilt Legends Club North Course
Par 72, 6,377 yards
NCAA.com - Live scoring and live streaming of holes 9 and 18 during final two rounds
AggieAthletics.com - Daily results and recaps
Twitter - @AggieWomensGolf, @NCAAWGolf12
Facebook - facebook.com/AggieWomensGolf
For ticket information, call (615) 322-4653 or visit www.ncaa.com/tickets.
AGGIES AT THE NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP
• Texas A&M is making its 11th all-time appearance at the NCAA Championship (1982, 1984, 1985, 1997, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012).
• The Aggies earned a trip to nationals for the third straight season and fourth time in head coach Trelle McComb’s five seasons in Aggieland.
• A&M finished seventh last year, its highest finish since it was sixth in 2008. Its best finish was fifth in 1982.
• Sophomore Katerina Ruzickova tied for sixth in 2011 to mark the best individual finish at the NCAA Championship in program history.
• Three players in this year’s lineup have NCAA Championship experience including junior Sarah Beth Davis (2 years), sophomore Natalie Reeves (1) and Ruzickova (1).
• A&M is one of just six elite programs to finish 11th or better in the last two NCAA Championships, including Purdue, UCLA, Southern California, Alabama and Vanderbilt.
TEXAS A&M LINEUP
Name Ht. Yr.-Exp. Tourneys Rds. Avg. vs. Par
Sarah Beth Davis 5-4 Jr.-2L 9 26.0 76.19 4.54
Patricia Garcia 5-9 Fr.-HS 9 26.0 75.58 3.92
Mary Michael Maggio 5-4 Jr.-TR 10 29.0 74.79 3.10
Natalie Reeves 5-4 So.-1L 9 27.0 76.74 5.07
Katerina Ruzickova 5-11 So.1L 10 29.0 73.55 1.86
THE FIELD AND THE FORMAT
• The top eight teams and top two individuals from each of the three regionals advanced to the 2012 NCAA Championship for a total of 24 teams.
• No. 2 Alabama, No. 5 Arizona State, Arkansas, No. 17 Baylor, No. 12 Colorado, No. 11 Duke, No. 13 Florida, No. 6 LSU, No. 21 Michigan State, No. 7 North Carolina, NO. 23 North Carolina State, No. 16 Ohio State, Oklahoma, No. 19 Pepperdine, Purdue, No. 18 South Carolina, No. 3 Southern California, Stanford, No. 14 Tennessee, No. 22 Texas, No. 10 Texas A&M, No. 1 UCLA, No. 8 Vanderbilt and Virginia.
• Individuals include Gabriella Dominguez (Texas Tech), Kimberly Kaufman (Texas Tech), Rocio Sanchez Lobato (Georgia), Margarita Ramos (Arizona), Maria Salinas (Florida State) and Kelsey Vines (Oklahoma State).
• The tournament is 72 holes of stroke play (18 each day).
• Texas A&M is paired with Vanderbilt and LSU for the first two rounds. On Tuesday, the Aggies tee off from the first hole at 12:55 p.m. (CT). A&M’s round Wednesday starts from the 10th tee at 8:28 a.m. (CT).
A&M AT NCAA REGIONALS
• A&M tied for second to match its best regional finish in program history. The Aggies also finished second in 2005.
• Ruzickova earned her first win this season and second career win, turning in A&M’s lowest-ever NCAA postseason score with a 54-hole total of a 3-under 213 (67-73-73). She became the first Aggie to win an NCAA Regional. Ruzickova tied Penn State’s Blue Course record for the best single round with a 5-under 67 to position herself in first place after the opening round. Her 67 was the lowest of the day, the lowest of her career and it set a new school record for lowest single round by an Aggie in postseason play.
• The Aggies matched their lowest 54-hole regional score with 878 (296-296-286), including their lowest-ever regional round (286).
• Other A&M individual finishes:
T-19. Natalie Reeves 76-76-69=221
T-29. Patricia Garcia 79-73-70=222
T-51. Mary Michael Maggio 74-77-75=226
T-59. Sarah Beth Davis 79-74-74=227
MORE ON THE AGGIES
• A&M has won one tournament in 2011-12, finished fifth or better in seven of 10 events and posted all top-10 team finishes.
• Ruzickova and Maggio were both selected to the 2012 All-Big 12 Women’s Golf Team. It was Ruzickova’s second straight All-Big 12 honor and Maggio’s first.
• The Aggie duo was also named to the Big 12 Championship All-Tournament team.
• Maggio earned Big 12 Golfer of the Month honors in April.
HEAD COACH TRELLE MCCOMBS
• Trelle McCombs (Georgia State ’89) is in her fifth season at the helm of the Texas A&M women’s golf program.
• Has led the Aggies to a Big 12 Championship (2010) and three runner-up finishes.
• Was named 2010 Big 12 Coach of the Year.
• Guided A&M to the NCAA Championship four of her five years in Aggieland to become the fastest coach in school history with four NCAA Championship appearances.
• McCombs has produced three All-Americans in her short time at A&M.
SARAH BETH DAVIS (JR., Victoria, Texas)
• Competed in nine tournaments…Ranks fourth on the team with a 76.19 stoke average…Five top-25 finishes…Tied for 12th at the Susie Maxwell Berning Classic with a career low round of 69…Lowest 54-hole score this season is 221 at the Alamo Invitational.
• Only Aggie that has competed in two previous NCAA Championships…won the Texas A&M “Mo”Morial as a freshman.
PATRICIA GARCIA (Fr., Guaynabo, Puerto Rico)
• Participated in nine tournaments, one as an individual…Posted the team’s third-best scoring average at 75.58…Five top-25 finishes…Best finish was second at the Battle at Rancho Bernardo…Lowest 54-hole score was 215 when she finished tied for seventh at the PING/ASU Invitational…Lowest round was a 70.
MARY MICHAEL MAGGIO (Jr., Conway, Ark.)
• 2012 All-Big 12…Big 12 All-Tournament Team…Big 12 Golfer of the Month (April)…Ranks second on the team with a 74.79 stroke average…Second with five top-20 finishes…Earned her first career win at the Big 12 Championship…Four top-10 finishes including Big 12s, tied for sixth at the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational, eighth at the Susie Maxwell Berning Classic and seventh at the Mason Rudolph Fall Preview.
• Transferred from LSU…Best 54-hole score is a 212 at Vanderbilt’s Legends Club in 2010…Career low round is a 67.
NATALIE REEVES (So., Euless, Texas)
• Appeared in nine tournaments, three as an individual…Scoring average of 76.74 is fifth-best on the team…Four top-25 finishes…Tied for fourth at the LadyJack Crown Classic…Tied for 13th at the Texas A&M “Mo”Morial…Posted two rounds in the 60s, including a 69 at the NCAA East Regional and a career-best 67 at the Mason Rudolph Fall Preview…Carded a career-best 54-hole score of 221 at regionals.
• Competed in the 2011 NCAA Championships and finished tied for 95th.
KATERINA RUZIKCOVA (So., Ostrava, Czech Republic)
• 2012 All-Big 12…Big 12 All-Tournament Team…Competed in all 10 tournaments and leads the team with a 73.55 stroke average…Also leads the team with eight top-25 finishes and six top-10 finishes…Won the NCAA East Regional with a career-best 213, including a career-low round of 67…Four top-5 finishes, including fourth at the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational, tied for fifth at The Alamo Invitational and tied for third at the Susie Maxwell Berning Classic.
• 2011 Golfweek All-America FRESHMAN team and Golfweek All-America honorable mention... Led the Aggies with a Texas A&M freshman record stroke average of 73.12 over 11 tournaments and 34 rounds...Posted a staggering eight top-25 finishes and six top-10 finishes...Took home first place individually in the Pacific Coast Intercollegiate tournament...Tied for second in the 2011 Big 12 Championships...Tied for sixth to help lead the Aggies to a top-10 finish in the 2011 Women's Golf NCAA Championships.