COLLEGE STATION, Texas – The No. 5 Texas A&M baseball team puts its seven-game winning streak on the line and gets its toughest test of the early season this weekend as it hosts No. 11 Cal State Fullerton in a three-game series on Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park. Game times are set for 6:35 p.m. Friday, 2:05 p.m. Saturday and 1:05 p.m. for Sunday’s series finale.
PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
FRIDAY (MARCH 9)
Texas A&M - #38 Michael Wacha (Jr., RHP, 2-0, 0.92)
Cal State Fullerton - #15 Dylan Floro (Jr., RHP, 1-1, 2.45)
SATURDAY (MARCH 10)
Texas A&M - #36 Ross Stripling (Sr., RHP, 2-0, 2.08)
Cal State Fullerton – #34 Kenny Mathews (Fr., LHP, 1-0, 2.77)
SUNDAY (MARCH 11)
Texas A&M - #55 Rafael Pineda (R-So., RHP, 2-0, 1.00)
Cal State Fullerton - TBA
FOLLOWING THE ACTION
• RADIO — Fans can listen locally on WTAW-AM 1620 ... Dave South (play-by-play) along with selected commentators will call the action ... pregame show begins 30 minutes prior to first pitch.
• INTERNET — aggieathletics.com will offer live play-by-play and statistics ... fans can watch the game free of charge on aggieathletics.com.
• MOBILE PHONE — listen to the game on your iPhone, Blackberry or PDA free of charge ... log on to radioaggieland.com for more information.
TEXAS A&M/CAL STATE FULLERTON SERIES NOTABLES
The Aggies and Titans have met on the diamond six previous times with the series deadlocked at 3-3 ... The last meeting came a season ago, as Cal State Fullerton made a mid-week trip to College Station on March 15 ... The Aggies earned a 2-0 victory in the contest, during which nine players on this year’s roster saw action.
MORE ON CAL STATE FULLERTON
The Titans will come to College Station with an 8-4 record but had a seven-game winning streak snapped on Tuesday with a 7-4 loss at USC ... CSF is defending Big West Champions and the league’s coaches preseason pick to win the conference again this season ... Head coach Rick Vanderhook is in his first season at the helm of the program after Dave Serrano left to take the coaching position at the University of Tennessee.
NOTES AND NOTABLES
• The Aggies enter the weekend leading the Big 12 in both batting (.314 team average) and pitching (2.33 team ERA).
• The top in the A&M batting order has been the catalyst for the Aggie offensive, which averages 7.4 runs per game. Shortstop Mikey Reynolds leads the league with 16 runs scored, just above Tyler Naquin, who ranks second with 15 runs. In the No. 3 hole and clean-up positions, Matt Juengel and Jacob House have made the scoring chances count with 17 and 12 RBI, respectively.
• Sophomore outfielder Jace Statum started in left field in place of injured left fielder Brandon Wood on Tuesday against Prairie View A&M and responded with a big day at the plate. The Orange, Texas, native tied his career high with four hits during the victory to raise his season average to .385.
• Senior lefty reliever Estevan Uriegas has been a rock out of the A&M bullpen, leading the team with nine appearances without yielding a hit and retiring all 11 runners he has inherited this season.
• Reigning Big 12 Player of Year Tyler Naquin continues his surge at the plate to begin the 2012 campaign. The Spring, Texas, native, who led the nation in hits last season, currently paces the Big 12 with 24 knocks and maintains a cool .490 clip at the plate. The All-American tied a career-high with four hits in a 4-for-5 effort at the plate against Northwestern State on Feb. 29.
• Senior right-handed pitcher Ross Stripling earned his 23rd career victory during his last outing on March 3 against Michigan State. The win moved the Southlake, Texas, native into a tie ninth in school history alongside Chris Russ (1998-01) and Ronnie Allen (1989-91).
The Aggies will host Texas-Pan American in a two-game mid-week series on Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park. Game times are set for 6:35 p.m. Tuesday and 3:05 p.m. on Wednesday.
• FRIDAY ... Free Giveaway Friday - Fans will have the opportunity to win batting practice on Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park.
• SATURSDAY ... Father/Son Day - Aggie Baseball would like to invite Fathers and their Sons out to the Blue Bell Park and enjoy various activities including a post-game catch in the outfield, fishing for prizes, and on-field promotions. Sons are encouraged to come dressed like their dads.
• SUNDAY ... Sunday Rundday ... presented by the Junior Aggie Club and the Pool Guy - Kids are invited to run the bases following the game.