NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Rod Odom scored 19 points and Dai-Jon Parker added a career-high 17 points to lead Vanderbilt to a 63-56 victory over Texas A&M on Saturday night.
Parker made a personal-best five 3-pointers as the Commodores (10-14, 4-8 Southeastern Conference) won the first meeting between the schools since 1955.
Vanderbilt used a 20-6 run spanning the first and second halves to pull away from the Aggies (15-10, 5-7). Parker followed his final 3-pointer with a nifty reverse layup for the largest lead of the game, 46-33, with 8:37 left.
Texas A&M stormed back and closed the gap to 56-51 with 1:29 remaining. But Odom drained his career-high tying fourth 3-pointer to halt the rally.
Josh Henderson chipped in 11 for the Commodores, who had lost five of six.
Elston Turner, coming off a 37-point performance against Mississippi on Wednesday, scored 14 points and Ray Turner added 10 for Texas A&M.
Texas A&M Men’s Basketball
Vanderbilt 63, Texas A&M 56
Feb. 16, 2013 ● Memorial Gym
TEAM RECORDS & SERIES NOTES
● Texas A&M saw its record fall to 15-10 on the season with a 5-7 mark in SEC games.
● Vanderbilt, meanwhile, improved 10-14 on the year with a 4-8 league record.
● The all-time series between the schools now stands at 2-0 in favor of Vanderbilt.
● Texas A&M jumped out to an early 7-0 lead in the contest, but it was the Commodores who closed the first half on a 6-0 run to carry a 25-21 lead into the intermission.
● During the second half, Vanderbilt made seven 3-pointers to foil any A&M comeback attempt.
● For the game, Texas A&M shot 44.2 percent (23-of-52) while Vandy shot 45.8 percent (22-of-48).
● Senior guard Elston Turner led the Aggies with 14 points in the contest, going 7-for-19 from the floor … It marked the 46th time in 57 career games at Texas A&M that Turner has reached double-digits in points.
● Senior forward Ray Turner finished with 10 points and five rebounds, while RS sophomore forward Kourtney Roberson ended play with eight points and eight rebounds.
● Vanderbilt was led by Rod Odom, who notched a game-high 19 points.
● The Aggies hit the road next week to face Auburn on Wednesday ... The contest will be broadcast on ESPN3.
● Vanderbilt, meanwhile, will travel to Lexington to face Kentucky at Rupp Arena.