NEW HAVEN, CT -- Texas A&M (2-1) takes its first road trip of the season as the Aggies head to New Haven, Conn., to compete in the Yale Classic this weekend at Payne Whitney Gymnasium. A&M takes the court Friday at 6 p.m. (CT) to face the Yale Bulldogs in their season opener. On Saturday, A&M faces American (1-1) at 10 a.m. (CT) and then closes out the tournament against Stony Brook (1-2) at 4 p.m. (CT).
Live stats of all matches will be available at http://livestats.prestosports.com/yale/. Live video of all Yale matches also is available at that link for a fee.
Aug. 31-Sept. 1, Payne Whitney Gymnasium
New Haven, Conn.
Friday, August 31
4:00 p.m. American vs. Stony Brook
6:00 p.m. Texas A&M vs. Yale
Saturday, September 1
10:00 a.m. Texas A&M vs. American
12:00 p.m. Yale vs. Stony Brook
4:00 p.m. Texas A&M vs. Stony Brook
6:00 p.m. American vs. Yale
*all times are Central
• Texas A&M is 2-1 following its season-opening home tournament in which the Aggies placed second by sweeping both Texas State and North Dakota and falling to No. 5 USC in four sets last weekend at Reed Arena.
• Texas A&M will be facing both Yale and Stony Brook for the first time in the history of the program. A&M and American have met once, with the Aggies defeating the Eagles, 3-1 (21-25, 25-14, 25-21, 25-17), on Sept. 5, 2008, in the Texas A&M Invitational at G. Rollie White Coliseum.
• American is 1-1 after suffering a 3-0 loss to Georgetown in the season opener and then rebounding with a 3-0 sweep against George Mason at the DC Volleyball Challenge. Stony Brook is 1-2 with a 3-0 win against Quinnipiac sandwiched by a 3-1 loss to Indiana in the season opener and a 3-2 loss at Army in its most recent match.
• Texas A&M, Yale and American all advanced to the NCAA tournament in 2011. The Aggies received an at-large bid and advanced to the second round before falling to No. 16 Kentucky. Two-time defending Ivy League champion Yale and two-time defending Patriot League champion American both received automatic bids and fell in the first round. American lost to Delaware, which A&M will face next weekend.
• Like A&M’s husband-wife coaching duo with Laurie Corbelli serving as the head coach and husband John Corbelli serving as associate head coach, Stony Brook also has a wife and husband heading up the coaching duties of the Seawolves. Deb DesLauriers is in her seventh season as head coach at Stony Brook, and her husband, Kevin DesLauriers, serves as assistant coach.
• American junior middle blocker Morgan Hendrix is a product of Lake Travis High School in Austin, Texas, the same school that produced Aggie freshman Sierra Patrick.
AGGIE QUICK HITS:
• A&M head coach Laurie Corbelli celebrated the 500th win of her 27-year head coaching career and her 400th victory in her 20th year at the helm of the Aggies in the season-opening win against Texas State. She is now 501-301 overall and 401-195 at A&M.
• The Aggies are receiving votes in the AVCA Top 25 Poll and are tied with Oklahoma for 29th. A&M was listed 36th in the preseason poll.
• A&M has used the same starting lineup in all three matches thus far: seniors Lindsey Miller and Stephanie Minnerly at middle blocker; senior Alisia Kastmo at opposite; senior Tori Mellinger and junior Heather Reynolds on the outside; and junior setter Allie Sawatsky at setter. Senior Megan Pendergast has started out every match as the team’s designated libero.
• Senior middle blocker Lindsey Miller and senior opposite Alisia Kastmo were named to the Texas A&M Invitational all-tournament team for the second consecutive year.
• Senior libero Megan Pendergast was the top digger at the season-opening tournament with 4.89 digs per set, bettering that of 2011 Pac-12 Libero of the Year and All-American libero Natalie Hagglund of USC, who finished with 4.80 digs per set.
• Junior outside hitter Heather Reynolds made her first career start in the Aggies’ season opener against Texas State.
• Lindsey Miller and Allie Sawatzky continued their individual streaks of having started every match of their careers.
• Lindsey Miller has posted double-figure kills with no errors in two of three matches this season. She tied her career high with a .611 hitting percentage with 11 kills and no errors in 18 attempts in the win against Texas State and recorded another error-free match against North Dakota with a match-high 10 kills and no errors in 15 attempts for a career-best .667 hitting efficiency. She led all players with a .393 hitting percentage (min. 10 kills) against No. 5 USC and is hitting .525 while averaging 3.50 kills per set for the full season.
• Miller’s five blocks against Texas State moved her into fifth in the A&M career records for block assists with 315. She needs only eight total blocks to give her 367 for her career and move her into eighth in the school records.
• Junior setter Allie Sawatzky had 88 assists for the weekend, moving her into ninth in the A&M career records with 2,353 total assists.
• Fifteen of 18 players have seen action this season, including four of seven freshmen.
• Freshman middle blocker Shelby Sullivan has seen the most action amongst the rookies. She has appeared in five sets and averaged 1.2 kills per set.
• Corbelli returns 10 letterwinners – including four starters plus the libero -- from last year’s team that went 23-8 and reached the second round of the NCAA tournament. She also welcomes one transfer and seven highly touted freshmen who represent the 20th-ranked recruiting class in the nation.
• Twelve of A&M’s 29 regular season matches will be against teams that appeared in the 2011 NCAA tournament.
• In their inaugural season in the SEC, the Aggies have been picked to finish second in the SEC West behind seven-time defending west champion LSU. Tennessee is projected to win the East Division and the overall SEC title. A&M finished third in the Big 12 with an 11-5 record in 2011.
• Seniors Alisia Kastmo and Stephanie Minnerly both have graduated with bachelor’s degrees and are continuing their education as they complete their athletic eligibility. Kastmo graduated in August with a degree in finance and is pursuing a master’s degree in real estate. Minnerly, a fifth-year senior, graduated in December 2011 with a bachelor’s degree in university studies. She is currently pursuing a second degree, a bachelor’s of science in agricultural leadership and development, and is scheduled to graduate in May 2013.
A&M concludes its non-conference season at the Delaware Invitational, Sept. 7-8, in Newark, Del., where the Aggies will face Xavier, Delaware and Columbia. A&M returns to Reed Arena, Friday, Sept. 14 to play its first-ever SEC match as the Aggies play host to Ole Miss.
The message you tried to print is protected with Information Rights Management. The sender didn't give you the rights necessary to print the message. NewDeleteMoveFilterView Post ReplyReplyReply AllForward Actions Conversations by Date Newest on Top
Texas A&M Heads to Yale Classic for First Road Trip Debbie Darrah5:37 PMSaturday Extra Coverage Lacy Loeffler5:16 PMA&M Cross Country - Aggies begin season at Baylor Twlight on Friday Shawn Price4:49 PMSEC Week 2 Lacy Loeffler4:38 PMTexas A&M Men’s Golf Opens 2012-13 Campaign at Carmel Cup Adam K. Quisenberry4:03 PMfootball info Elisha Scarmardo4:03 PMBVTM Taco Bell Live - an Option to consider Shel Winkley; Michael Oder; Lori Bruffett3:53 PMCreyton Lee Coil Cody Coil3:23 PMSumrall Takes Silver in NAJYR Championships Meredith Collier3:14 PMTEXAS A&M SOCCER - Aug 30, 2012 (Texas A&M Invitational Preview) Thomas D. Dick2:45 PMLive Van Nicolas Smeloff; Lori Bruffett; Dewane Garrett2:36 PMCheck ENPS A15 for KBTX FFF Week 0 Show 1 Thomas Miller2:34 PMBLINN W. BASKETBALL -- Forwards Dogins, Price sign with four-year programs Richard Bray2:21 PMTEXAS A&M BASEBALL - August 30, 2012 (Two Aggies Garner Summer Baseball Laurels) Thomas D. Dick10:42 AMVendor ACH enrollment Form Amanda Riske10:26 AMCamera Available Friday? Stephanie Ando10:06 AMIf you get phone calls Amy Lane; Kris Swearingen8:26 AMUPCOMING Holiday: KRONOS-PAY PERIOD ENDING Sandrey Stephens7:57 AMNew messages from Rachel Collins Facebook1:46 AM
FFF Staffing update Thursday 10:14pm Darryl BruffettWed 11:41 PMpromo Sandra FarrisWed 10:21 PMNext Sumlin availability Alan CannonWed 7:30 PMSaturday Extra Coverage Lacy LoefflerWed 5:24 PMSports Access® Live Events Schedule for 8/29/12 to 9/9/12 Donna JonesWed 2:52 PMKBTX's SEC Cody CoilWed 2:41 PMRudder's roster for 8/31 Linda BaldwinWed 11:58 AMSports 3 promos Lacy LoefflerWed 11:32 AMFFF Help Michael Oder; John WilsonWed 9:04 AM
FFF Assignments August 31st Week 0 Show 1 Cody Coil; Darryl BruffettTue 6:05 PMYour Statement Is Available Online Discover CardTue 5:09 PMA large purchase has posted to your account Discover CardTue 4:51 PMA large purchase has posted to your account Discover CardTue 4:51 PMGeometry 2012-2013 Schroeder, ShawnTue 4:35 PMYour Exclusive Members Only Weekly Super Coupons Harbor Freight ToolsTue 2:12 PMUpcoming Programming affecting Newscasts Trey HoltTue 1:46 PMAggie Football Coverage Todd CarrollTue 12:59 PMClassroom Champion Nomination Jacky PenceTue 12:33 PMMerchant refund/credit posted to your account Discover CardTue 10:12 AMSEC Sports Slates Amy Lane; Lori BruffettTue 9:10 AMBLINN ATHLETICS -- Buccaneer Backers get fans closer to Blinn athletics Richard BrayTue 8:23 AM
Kyle Field Redevelopment Survey Breanne MuldrowMon 7:42 PMCollege Football Slates Lacy LoefflerMon 4:09 PMA large purchase has posted to your account Discover CardMon 2:49 PMA&M Cross Country - Aggie men No. 2, women No. 3 in preseason region rankings Shawn PriceMon 2:45 PMFFF We're Back promo Lacy Loeffler; Darryl Bruffett; Jordan Meserole; Cliff WallaceMon 2:35 PMHurricane Isaac Update Alan CannonMon 1:25 PM5 Days Only - 20% off Coupon + 60 Super Coupons! Ends Fri. 8/31! Harbor Freight ToolsMon 9:03 AM
Aggie schedule pkg John WilsonSun 2:59 PMJuly XDAI Leopoldo CarpioSun 12:16 PM
Football Slates Lacy LoefflerFri 8/24QB Name Vinzetta, VinnieFri 8/24Week 1 SEC Football Release / SEC Football Media Services Brad MarquardtFri 8/24RE: Aggie Season Preview Format Lori BruffettFri 8/24Date
Flag Due Date
Flag Start Date
RemindersDismiss allDismissOpen itemSnooze5 minutesOpen
Open in New Window
Move Contacts Folder...
Copy Contacts Folder...
Move Tasks Folder...
Copy Tasks Folder...
Move Up in List
Move Down in List
Share This Calendar...
Change Sharing Permissions...
Publish This Calendar to Internet...
Send Links to This Calendar...
Change Publishing Settings...
Show Calendar URL...
Create New Calendar...
Create New Contacts Folder...
Create New Tasks Folder...
Remove from view
Remove Shared Calendar
Open in New Window
Open Other User's Inbox...
Remove from view
Add to Favorites
Remove from Favorites
Move Up in List
Move Down in List
Create New Folder...
Mark All as Read
Empty Deleted Items
Recover Deleted Items
Empty Junk E-Mail