Selected Community Events
Children's Grief Awareness Day
Nov 15, 2012 All Day
We are holding a Blue Candlelight vigil at Central Park from 6:00 - 7:30.
What is Children’s Grief Awareness Day?
• Children’s Grief Awareness Day is observed the Thursday before Thanksgiving every year. In 2012, this day will be November 15.
• Children’s Grief Awareness Day is a day focused on bringing to mind the children all around us who have experienced the death of a loved one—child who typically feel very alone in the journey of grief.
• Children’s Grief Awareness Day is an opportunity to let grieving children know that they’re not forgotten in the midst of their grief.
How are we contributing to Children’s Grief Awareness Day?
• We are asking everyone in the community to wear blue on that day and let people know why they are wearing blue.
• We are holding a Blue Candlelight vigil at Central Park from 6:00 - 7:30.
How can you help us?
• We would love to have professionals volunteer their time for on-site assistance with children or families that need help.
• We would love assistance on planning activities for the children.
Any activity or activities that are designed to help the child move forward in their grieving process would be great.
• We would love for an inspirational speaker to hold a 10 – 15 minute speech to relate to the children that it’s ok to grieve and that it will get easier. If you have any leads on this that would be very beneficial.
Why are we holding in this event?
• Many people don’t realize that it takes most children much longer to deal with their grief then we expect, and that the amount of inner turmoil, invisible to most, is much more intense than we have any idea of.
• We want to raise awareness so that people will realize that even if there is no outward sign of inner turmoil, those storms can still be raging inside a grieving child’s heart.
• We raise awareness so that people will understand that a grieving child can’t just “get over it”—not in any set time period—not by any act of their own will—and that there’s no reason that they should just “get over it.”
• We want to raise awareness in order to help people learn ways they might help a grieving child they happen to know, now or in the future.
Name: Eddi Darilek
Treasurer of the College Station Kiwanis Club, member of the Kiwanis Club since 2009
Contact Number: 979-777-3231