Extreme dry conditions and heavy winds are reasons why local firefighters are urging residents to be proactive about fire safety.
The Bryan Fire Department say they responded to a fire this afternoon that could have been tragic if it wasn't for one resident taking precaution.
Firefighters are staying busy. One of the grass fires crews responded to was in north Bryan caused by a resident welding.
Firefighters say the fire could have easily spread and threatened nearby homes.
"If they had not been proactive, welded with the grass tall, it would have moved much faster and probably would have covered a much bigger area and would have been very possibly a tragic thing that we would still be working with,” said Bryan Deputy Fire Marshal William Bouse.
Earlier in the afternoon a grass fire quickly spread at Highway 6 and FM 2818 in South College Station that closed both lanes of southbound Highway 6 causing traffic to back up in both directions.
The grass is dry almost everywhere in the Brazos Valley. That's why firefighters say it is crucial for residents to take precautionary measures like cutting the grass around the area where you can legally use fire in the city, water down areas, don't leave the fire unattended and have a water hose or fire extinguisher ready.
"We've had some blessings of some showers, rain storms that have come through which has probably held us just below a threshold where it would have been an absolute requirement to go into a burn ban,” said Bouse.
At the Brazos County Commissioners Court meeting Tuesday morning, officials will discuss the possibility of issuing a burn ban to protect the Brazos Valley.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.