Director of Operations
Summary: In conjunction with the Executive Director, the Director of Operations will
set the financial policy and direction of Scotty’s House while also being an active
participant in, and driver of, the agency’s overall strategy. She or he will lead all
financial administration, business planning and budgeting. As a member of the senior
leadership team, the Director of Operations will work closely with a motivated and
engaged finance and governance committee of the board of directors.
The Director of
Operations will lead Scotty’s House’s finance and administrative staff.
Specific responsibilities include:
Financial and operational management
• Oversee budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow and the implementation
of budgets, so as to monitor progress and present operational metrics both
internally and externally.
• Ensure that finance staff maintains financial record systems in accordance with
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and monitor the use of all funds.
• Oversee the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials and
metrics for funding organizations and Scotty’s House’s board of directors;
prepare and communicate monthly and annual financial statements.
• Manage cash flow and forecasting; direct all financial, project-based, and
• Coordinate all audit activities.
• Evaluate and oversee all benefits negotiations, thus providing the most
competitive packages for Scotty’s House employees.
• Review all formal finance-, HR-, and IT-related procedures, processes, and
administration, recommending improvements to the systems in place and
managing the systems going forward.
Administrative leadership and management
• Serve as a business partner to the ED on the organization’s financial, budgeting,
and administrative processes—including HR, payroll, and benefits functions—
with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems.
• Lead technical staff to design an IT plan for the future, and implement it
successfully to meet IT needs (hardware and software) as the organization
• Engage other members of the senior management team to facilitate cross department
collaboration that ensures that all financial, IT, and HR solutions
positively support Scotty’s House.
• Manage the organization’s physical infrastructure, and system maintenance
(phone system, security, cleaning, supplies, etc.), with assistance from the office
• Manage one full-time finance administrator.
The director of operations will have at least five to eight years of professional
experience, including managing the finance and administration of a high-growth
organization (preference given to nonprofit experience). She or he will have experience
creating and driving the analytic framework for planning and managing organizational
The director of operations will have the following experience and attributes:
• Bachelor’s degree (MA/MBA preferred) in Business, Management, or Finance.
• Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multidisciplinary,
diverse, and dynamic team.
• Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting, ideally in the
• Experience should include legal, audit, compliance, budget, and resource
• Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of
creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems.
• Proven effectiveness leading professionals in finance and accounting.
• Technologically savvy, with an ability to point to examples of having worked with
IT staff to develop and implement new processes and systems that increased
efficiency in a fast-moving environment.
• Flexible and a self-starter with the ability to multitask while also being highly
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to the mission of Scotty's House.