Brenham woman disputes recent firing from super center

By  | 

BRENHAM, Tex. (KBTX)- For the past nine years, 84-year-old Frankie Ruffino worked as a door greeter at the Walmart in Brenham.

"I started there back in 2008, with my oxygen tank and walker, they never had a problem with me carrying it around. I really loved my job," said Ruffino.

Carrie Bozarth, Ruffino's hairdresser, said everyone looked forward to being greeted by her.

"She's just involved in everyone's life and as a community, she's so well known," said Bozarth.

After working until 10 p.m. on Tuesday, Ruffino said her duty was to close up the dressing rooms and make sure everything was put up.

"I get off at 10 and I lock everything up. I go to the front, and there was a dollar bill laying there on the floor, right in the middle of the aisle, not in the register," said Ruffino.

Ruffino said she tucked the dollar into her walker and planned on returning the money to the manager the next day.

"It was late and I still had to drive home 14 miles so I didn't think it was going to be a problem," said Ruffino.

Ruffino came into work the next day, did her regular shift, and was told to speak with management after she was done.

"So they asked me, did you find some money on the floor, and I said yes I did, I picked a dollar bill up, here it is right here, I stuck it down in my walker," said Ruffino.

She was allowed to go back to work the next day, but at the end of her next shift, Ruffino was fired.

"I was like are you serious, is that what has to happen, I was going to turn it in," said Ruffino.

"I took a deep breath, as deep as I can take, went to the drug store, got my medicine and drove home, I just was so upset," Ruffino added.

Ruffino said management told her she had to be let go because her integrity was compromised.

News 3 reached out to officials at Walmart, they declined to comment citing a policy regarding personnel matters.

Ruffino's Daughter, Brenda Fowler, said she was in disbelief when she heard that her mother was fired.

"I mean, if they really thought she was a thief, I think she would have been fired right then, but they had her work the whole day," said Fowler.

Fowler said the whole ordeal has been tough on her mother, that's why the both of them are looking for answers.

"She's had breast cancer twice and come back from it, so she will come back from this too, I just wish they would have handled it better," said Fowler.