Attorney: Burleson County authorities are missing critical documents in case

CALDWELL, Tex. (KBTX)- The attorney for a former Burleson County inmate says critical documents for her client's case are missing.

Chester "CJ" Jackson, 30, of Somerville remains in critical but improving condition at an Austin-area hospital after he was arrested last month on a public intoxication charge outside his home.

His lawyer, U.A. Lewis, says county authorities have told her they can't find any record or documentation of his citation, guilty plea, and one-day sentence to the Burleson County jail.

"It's unheard of to take someone into custody, and have no court record," said Lewis. "They said he pleaded. He served his one day. There should be an order to reflect that."

The sentence was handed down by a Burleson County Justice of the Peace.

"Time is up. We need the answers," said Lewis.

What happened to the father of three young children in the hours and days immediately following his arrest on a rural county road remains a mystery, although Burleson County Sheriff Thomas Norsworthy denies accusations of withholding evidence.

"Since this matter is pending an investigation, we have no further comment at this time," Sheriff Norsworthy said in a news release to KBTX on Wednesday.

According to family and his lawyer, Jackson was arrested on Friday, April 19, and after serving his short sentence, he was released on Saturday. His father said he was notified of the release, but asked Jackson's mother to pick up their son at the jail.

Eddie Wilson, Jackson's mother, said she arrived within an hour of that phone call but was greeted by two jailers who said she her son would remain detained in the jail.

"They said he was a danger," but didn't elaborate. "They said you're not going to be able to handle him. I asked if I could see him and they wouldn't let me see my son," said Wilson.

On Sunday, when the family called to ask if they could pick up Jackson, they couldn't get a straight answer from the jail staff on Jackson's whereabouts. It was on Monday, April 22, they first learned he had been transported by a deputy to an Austin hospital and was on life support.

"They resuscitated him twice. I want to know why they had to resuscitate him the first time. I need answers," said Wilson.

"I really want justice," said Jackson's father, Chester Jackson, Sr.

It's the gaps in the story that trouble family, friends, and supporters of Jackson.

"This is not over by a long shot. We're in this for the long haul and we will fight, and we will make you uncomfortable until we get the justice CJ and his family deserves," said Ashton P. Woods, a representative from Houston's Black Lives Matter organization who attended a rally Monday outside the jail.