BRYAN, Tex. (KBTX) - Representatives of the BCS Association of Realtors are warning local potential renters on Craigslist of scammers after your personal information.
How it works, according to association spokesperson Amy DuBose:
- A scammer will find a home for sale online
- They'll use that information to post the listing on Craigslist as a "rental"
- They'll have you fill out an application that is not secure, providing extensive personal details
DuBose warns that the scam can lead to identity theft. She says, it's hitting a peak in frequency here the Bryan-College Station area right now.
DuBose says there are ways to protect yourself:
- Double-check the entity listing the property. Search their contact information in Google, or do a property records search to determine if that is the real owner.
- Instead of Craigslist, use a realtor or realty company. Many will support renters in finding home at no cost.
See the video player above for more.