Bryan daycare evacuated because of gas leak

By  | 

BRYAN, Tex. (KBTX) - A Bryan daycare is being evacuated after a gas leak was found underground.

According to Atmos, their crews were called out to Houston Street Friday morning after the report of a gas smell. Crews discovered there was a leak on an underground gas line.

Bryan Head Start is located near the leak. The daycare was evacuated. KBTX was told that all children are safe and their parents are being contacted. The daycare is closed for the day. Atmos told KBTX that the children were sent home as a precaution, but employees remained on site.

"We were getting some minor readings of natural gas inside the Head Start Building so as a precaution we encouraged them to shut down for the day and send the children home," said Chace Murphy, Atmos Energy Manager of Public Affairs.

"Proud to report that the children were safely evacuated to parents and guardians and that gets them home safely," he said.

Murphy also encourages the public to contact them or emergency officials if they ever smell gas leaking.

Atmos crews are starting to dig up the line to make repairs. Officials said the leak is small and underground. They expect it to be repaired by 5:00 p.m.