UPDATE: Arrest made in College Station murder

Osiel Benitez-Herrera (Photo submitted by family)
Osiel Benitez-Herrera (Photo submitted by family)(KBTX)
Published: May. 8, 2019 at 3:35 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn


Just after midnight Saturday morning, College Station Police announced 24-year-old Luis Leonardo Solis had been arrested for murder. He was roommates with the victim, Osiel Benitez-Herrera, 30, of College Station. Solis was questioned by police beginning early on in the investigation, and family members insisted to KBTX he was a suspect in the case.


College Station police have identified a man they say is the victim of a homicide.

Police say a man called 9-1-1 around 11:45 p.m. Tuesday night, claiming he found his roommate dead inside their home at a mobile home park located in the 3000 block of Texas Avenue.

The victim is Osiel Benitez-Herrera, 30, according to police.

Family and neighbors insist the roommate is a suspect in this case, but police tell KBTX he is only being questioned.

College Station Police say the roommate claimed he heard a suspicious noise when he got home, got spooked and called the police.

Investigators are still interviewing witnesses.

The victim's family says they last heard from him about an hour before he died. Police told them about his death early this morning.

Neighbors say they didn't hear any sirens or chaos Tuesday night, and they're shocked to hear that someone died in an area where everything is usually pretty quiet.

"Everybody is chill. If you ain't at work, you're just chilling. There ain't a whole lot to do," said Quinterrian White.

White says he knows both of the men who lived in the trailer and he was friends with the victim.

"He was a cool dude, he really didn't bother anybody. All he did was work and take care of his family," White said.

The victim's family tells KBTX the pair only lived together for four months, but the victim was scared of his roommate and they fought in the past.

"I just hate it happened here in this area," said Dorothy Harrison.

Harrison said she didn't hear any fighting coming from the trailer Tuesday night.

"I was really surprised that this ever happened in our area here because this seems like a quiet area that children go out and play," Harrison said.