William Hudson capital murder trial is under way in Bryan

By  | 

BRYAN, Tex. (KBTX) - A capital murder trial started in Bryan Wednesday morning. A man is accused of killing six people in East Texas back in 2015.

News 3 is covering the entire case in court and doing a live blog of the William Hudson trial.

Click here to read the LIVE BLOG.

Prosecutors started off the proceedings with their opening remarks and calling witnesses.

35-year-old Hudson is accused of murdering six people who ranged in age from 6 to 77 at a property in Tennessee Colony, Texas in November 2015. That's in Anderson County near Palestine. He's on trial for the capital murders of 77-year-old Carl Johnson and his daughter Hannah, 40.

Also killed that day were Carl's six-year-old Grandson Kade, 45-year-old Thomas Kamp and his two sons: 23-year-old Nathan Kamp and 21-year-old Austin Kamp.

William Hudson could get the death penalty if he's convicted.

The court heard testimony from several law enforcement members, as well as an emotional 9-1-1 call from one of the survivors of the attack. Prosecutors said all of the victims were shot to death except for Hannah Johnson. She was beaten to death. Hannah was also found naked from the waist down inside an Airstream trailer. Her father was also dead inside the trailer when investigators arrived.

Hudson appeared in court Wednesday wearing a black suit, blue shirt and red tie.

Prosecutors say Hudson was upset after his family sold 15 acres of property to the Kamp family. It's land they say he wanted to buy and keep but didn't have the means. They said he continued to be upset over the sale and attacked the two families who had gone out to the new property to camp.

After part of the group got a camper stuck in the mud, prosecutors said Hudson heard the noise from his nearby home and came out there offering to help.

Prosecutors said he acted strangely around the group and then went with four of the members on an ATV into the woods. While the rest of the camp was making dinner shots were fired. The rest of the group wasn't concerned yet, according to prosecutors. Those back at the camp were eating dinner when Hudson returned alone on the ATV. That's when prosecutors said he attacked Hannah and Carl Johnson.

We also heard the 9-1-1 call from Cindy Johnson, Carl's wife. She hid in the woods until she was able to call 9-1-1 for help the next morning. In the call, she was very upset and fearful that a man named William might come back. She also says in the call that he has an orange Kubota tractor.

It took dispatchers a while to figure out her location and they struggled to establish what happened out there. Eventually, Anderson County Sheriff's Deputy Emily Parker finds her near the camp ground. Parker testified the woman she met was fearful for her life and in great distress. Prosecutors says Cindy Johnson spent the night outside in the woods and cold rain before she realized she had a cell phone. Parker also testified Cindy Johnson's hands were swollen and her face swollen from ant bites.

Anderson County Chief Deputy Troy Black testified they made contact with William Hudson soon after getting to the scene. A DPS Trooper noticed an orange Kubata tractor at the Hudson home which is not far from the campground.

Hudson eventually was taken into custody after initially refusing to come outside his mother's house and talk to investigators. The Sheriff's Office was able to get a warrant to enter the home by force, but he eventually came out.

The trial will start again Thursday at 9:00 a.m. Judge Mark Calhoon said to expect much more testimony.

Hudson remains in the Brazos County Jail while he's in Bryan for trial following a change of venue. His bond is $2.5 million.