Family, attorney begin to question hospital's role in Chester Jackson's case

Published: May. 30, 2019 at 9:03 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The attorney and family of Chester Jackson, Jr. are asking new questions about what happened to the Somerville man after hearing a 911 call made from a psychiatric hospital in Austin.

His attorney, U.A. Lewis, has also confirmed to KBTX the Texas Rangers are now conducting a criminal investigation into what happened to her client.

On Thursday, authorities in Austin released a 911 call from Cross Creek Hospital just hours after Jackson was admitted into the facility on Sunday, April 21.

Lewis tells KBTX she's heard the 911 call and it contains "disturbing facts.” There's now a news conference planned Friday in front of the hospital.

Lewis says the 5-minute call from a hospital worker at Cross Creek details how Jackson became agitated and stopped breathing after he was "put into a hold" by hospital staff.

The worker tells 911 that Jackson was also given 2mg of Ativan, 10mg of Haldol, and 50mg of Benadryl, according to Lewis.

Lewis says the staff is heard on the tape explaining how they had to use an AED device and CPR on Jackson as Austin paramedics and firefighters rushed to the hospital.

Paramedics rushed Jackson to St. David’s Medical Center in Austin.

That's where his family learned he was in a coma and on life support the next day.

This new information comes a day after KBTX obtained several body camera videos that help piece together a timeline of events leading from Jackson's arrest near his home in Somerville on Friday, April 19 to his release from the Burleson County jail two days later.

In the videos, a Caldwell police officer is seen pushing Jackson onto a metal bed as he's shackled. As a result of the fall, Jackson bounces off the bed and hits his head on a toilet. The officer has been placed on leave pending the outcome of an investigation.

to see our previous coverage on this story.

Latest News

Latest News