The Salvation Army in Bryan/College Station is excited to celebrate National Salvation Army Week, May 12-18, 2019 and invites the community to join them at special events during the week.
Several special activities have been planned for National Salvation Army Week 2019 here in Bryan/College Station:
• Clara B. Mounce Public Library; 201 E 26th St, Bryan, TX 77803 – Salvation Army history, books, and music are on display near the circulation desk throughout the month of May.
• Blake’s Steaks Fundraiser/Collaboration; 700 University Dr. E. Suite C, College Station, TX 77840 – Blake’s Steaks has created a special sandwich just for National Salvation Army Week called “The Doughboy”, in honor of the work of The Salvation Army in both WWI & WWII. It is a 1/3 pound hamburger with provolone, center cut bacon, onion bacon jam, spicy kewpie mayo, wrapped by a donut bun. For every purchase of The Doughboy; that is ONLY available during Salvation Army Week, Blake’s will donate $1 to The Salvation Army of Bryan/College Station.
• “Behind the Red Shield” Open House and Tour; 2506 Cavitt Ave. Bryan, TX 77801 (Fellowship Hall) 11 am – 2 pm – The Salvation Army of Bryan/College Station is opening its doors and proving tours of facilities to the public. Open House is from 11 am – 2 pm. A Luncheon welcome will be at 12 pm, tours at 12:30 pm, and Virtual Reality center hosted by Texas A&M Virtual and Augmented Reality from 11 am – 2 pm. RSVPs are appreciated.
• Wellness Check Clinic – 2506 Cavitt Ave. Bryan, TX 77801 (Fellowship Hall) Starting at 9 am – Blinn nursing students will conduct free wellness checks at our location starting at 9 am. Eye check, blood pressure, and more. We will also have Texas A&M C-STEP program and Blinn Dental here to provide information about their programs.
• 8th Annual Doing the Most Good Luncheon – Hilton Hotel & Conference Center - 801 University Dr. E., College Station, TX 77840, Doors open at 11 am. – Join us as we host our keynote speaker Col. Michael E. Fossum ’80 aka the “Aggie Astronaut” this year. Col. Fossum is the Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Texas A&M Galveston. Tickets and Sponsorships are still available at www.salvationarmybcs.org
• BTU Spring into Summer event; Lake Bryan; 5:30 pm – 10 pm. Join our disaster team as we take our mobile food kitchen to Lake Bryan to share information about programs and services, offer tours of our equipment, and meeting everyone who comes to the event to watch “Finding Nemo” under the stars by the lake. The event is free of charge and is great for the whole family.
Today, The Salvation Army is at work in 130 countries around the world. Here in the USA in 2018 the organization provided more than 57 million meals, more than 10 million nights of shelter, created safe places for 1.5 million kids to go after school and supported more than 275,000 survivors of disasters.
With more than 7,500 centers in operation in the U.S., The Salvation Army is uniquely positioned to meet need in Jesus’ name, without discrimination – wherever it exists. Last year in 2018, The Salvation Army of Bryan College Station provided over 370,000 pounds of food to the community and served 20,262 individuals who came to our doors in need.
“National Salvation Army Week presents a wonderful opportunity for us to let the community know more about the work of The Salvation Army here in Bryan/College Station” said Captain Paul Ryerson, Commanding Officer of The Salvation Army. “It is also a time when we want to recognize and celebrate the partners, supporters, and volunteers who make the ministry of the Army possible. We invite everyone to join us as we celebrate National Salvation Army Week.”
For more information, or to make a donation, please call The Salvation Army of Bryan/College Station at (979) 361-0618 or visit us at 2506 Cavitt Ave. Bryan, TX 77801, or online at www.salvationarmybcs.org