BRYAN, Tex. (KBTX) - The holidays aren't just about buying and receiving gifts, it's also about helping others.
But before giving back, you want to make sure your hard-earned dollars are going to the right place.
Lauren Galley with the Better Business Bureau joined News 3 at Noon on Monday to offer advice on wise giving.
Tips to ensure your contributions are legitimate:
• Watch out for name similarities
• Avoid on the spot donations from unfamiliar organizations
• Be wary of emotional appeals
• Avoid charities that don't disclose
• Rely on standards-based evaluations
For more information on the BBB WGA Give.org Donor Trust Report, visit give.org/donortrust. For more wise giving tips, visit go.bbb.org/givingtips.