Rethinking 'public health' with week of activities for the whole family

BRYAN, Tex. (KBTX) - What is "public health"?

It's a question the Texas A&M School of Public Health hears a lot.

The school's dean, John August, described "public health" on First News at Four: "Medical care contributes about 20 percent of what it takes to keep you and me healthy; the remaining 80 percent is public health. Public health, the research and education, involves helping us with healthy behaviors, ability to prevent disease, and improving the environment in which we live."

Still, there's even more to it, and that's why the Texas A&M School of Public Health is hosting days of activities for National Public Health Week.

August joined First News at Four to discuss the week, and you can see the full conversation in the video player above. Below, you'll find a comprehensive list of Public Health Awareness Week activities. In the Related Links, you'll find more detailed information on these listed programs.

TEXAS A&M SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH PRESENTS NATIONAL PUBLIC HEALTH WEEK:

April 1, Monday

Research Poster Displays
Location: SPH Classroom Building
Sponsored by the SPH Office of Research
Mayoral Proclamation of National Public Health Week in the Brazos Valley
Time: 10:00 - 11:00 am
Location: SPH Administration Building Lobby
Includes a welcome reception for the new director of the Brazos County Health Department, Mr. Santos Navarrette
Sponsored by the SPH Office of the Dean, Office of Communications, and the Office of Public Health Practice
World Fit Kickoff Event
Special guests General Joe Ramirez and First Lady of Aggieland Reveille
Time: 10:30 am
Location: SPH Campus
Sponsored by the SPH Dept. of Health Promotion & Community Health Services and the TAMU Corps of Cadets

April 2, Tuesday

Blood Drive
Time: 10:00am - 4:00pm
Location: TAMU Rec Center
Sponsored by SPH Community Health Promotion Student Organization
Public Health Display
Time: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Location: Rudder Plaza
Sponsored by the SPH Health & Wellness Ambassadors
Research Poster Student Showcase
Time: 4:30 - 5:30 pm
Location: SPH Classroom Building Lobby
Sponsored by the SPH Office of Research

April 3, Wednesday

Research Poster Student Showcase
Time: 4:30 - 5:30 pm
Location: SPH Classroom Building Lobby
Sponsored by the SPH Office of Research

April 4, Thursday

Take Back the Night
Time: 6:30pm
Location: Rudder Plaza
Sponsored by the TAMU Health Promotion Program in recognition of Sexual Assault Awareness Month

April 5, Friday

Re-Thinking Plastic: in products, our oceans, and our bodies
Time: 10:30 - 11:30am
Location: Rudder Forum
Sponsored by the SPH, TAMU Department of Oceanography, TAMU Office of Sustainability and Human Scale
Research Poster Contest Presentation
Winners will be announced for prizes and nomination for Delta Omega poster competition.
Time: 11:30 am
Location: Rudder Forum
Sponsored by the SPH Office of Research

First Friday
Time: 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Location: Downtown Bryan
Sponsored by the Texas A&M Public Health Student Association and the Brazos County Health Department

April 6, Saturday

Run of Heroes 5K
Time: 8:30 am
Location: The Quad, Texas A&M Main Campus
Sponsored by the Dept. of Health Promotion & Community Health Sciences and the Corps of Cadets
School of Public Health Gala
Time: 7:00 pm
Location: Phillips Event Center, Bryan, TX
Sponsored by the SPH Texas A&M Public Health Student Association and the Office of the Dean