Family of deceased A&M student files wrongful death suit against Sigma Nu
Anton Gridnev died of a drug overdose in the Sigma Nu house last year in College Station, and now the fraternity and some of its former members are facing a wrongful death lawsuit.
The lawsuit was filed in a Harris County courtroom in April 2017 by Anton's father, Eugene Gridnev. He's asking for more than $1 million in damages and associated costs.
Defendants named in the lawsuit include the national Sigma Nu office, the Aggie Sigma Chi House Corp., and several members of the house who were there when Gridnev passed away.
The 19-year-old died of an accidental overdose in August 2016. College Station police say a variety of illegal drugs were found inside during a sweep of the house, and calls to 911 recorded members of the house asking if anyone would be arrested for having drugs there.
Police said that many of the people in the house appeared to be intoxicated when they arrived and some of the people tried to elude them.
Police also believe Gridnev's body had been moved. Attorney's for the former members are fighting to get evidence suppressed in their drug related cases.
A trial date for the civil lawsuit is set for June 18, 2018.
Sigma Nu representatives declined to make any public comments on the civil lawsuit at this time.