ST. LOUIS, Missouri -- Aggie Basketball Game #32:
Alabama (17-14; 8-10 SEC) vs. Texas A&M (20-11; 9-9 SEC)
Thursday, March 8, 2018 • 12 p.m. (CT)
Scottrade Center • St. Louis, Mis.
TELEVISION: SEC Network (For more info – 12thMan.com/TV)
Joe Tessitore, Play-by-Play
Sean Farnham, Commentary
Laura Rutledge, Reporting
RADIO: WTAW 1620 AM (Bryan-College Station)
Dave South, Play-by-Play
Mike Caruso, Commentary
SATELLITE RADIO: SiriusXM Ch. 84
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: 12thman.com/live
LIVE MOBILE LIVE STATS: tamustats.com
Texas A&M begins its run at the SEC Tournament on Thursday when the Aggies face Alabama at Noon inside the Scottrade Center. The winner of the A&M-Alabama contest will move on to face top-seeded Auburn at Noon on Friday during the SEC Tournament’s quarterfinal round.
Thursday’s contest will be televised on SEC Network with Joe Tessitore calling the play-by-play action, Sean Farnham providing commentary and Laura Rutledge reporting. Additionally, radio coverage will be available on the Aggie Sports Network, which can be heard locally in the Bryan/College Station area on WTAW (1620 AM).
The match-up against Alabama will be an encore of the regular season finale that saw the Aggies defeat the Crimson Tide 68-66 in College Station on Saturday.
A&M (20-11; 9-9 SEC) will be led into the SEC Tournament by a trio of players who recently received All-SEC honors as Tyler Davis earned First-Team All-SEC honors on Tuesday, while Robert Williams was named the league’s Co-Defensive player of the Year and TJ Starks garnered a spot on the All-Freshman Team.
Alabama, meanwhile, enters the week with a 17-14 overall mark after dropping five straight contests to end the regular season.
TEXAS A&M IN CONFERENCE TOURNAMENTS
• The Aggies are 25-40 all-time conference tournaments, spanning previous affiliations with the Southwest Conference (1915-96) and Big 12 Conference (1997-2012) ... A&M held an all-time record of 16-19 in SWC Tournament games and a 6-16 mark in Big 12 Tourney games ... In four appearances at the SEC Tournament, A&M is 3-5.
• Texas A&M has claimed two postseason tournament championships - 1980 and 1987, both under the direction of former head coach Shelby Metcalf.
• A&M has advanced to the championship game of a postseason conference tournament six times - 1976, 1980, 1986, 1987, 1994 and 2016.
• Last year as the tournament's No. 10 seed, Texas A&M dropped a 66-41 decision to No. 7 Vanderbilt at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville.
• In postseason conference tournament play, Texas A&M has faced Arkansas six times (2-4), Missouri five times (1-4) and Auburn twice (1-1).
• A&M head coach Billy Kennedy holds a 14-13 record in conference tournament play, including championships in 2005 (Southland Conference - SE Louisiana) and 2010 (Ohio Valley Conference - Murray State).
A LOOK AT TEXAS A&M'S POST-SEASON RÉSUMÉ
As the calendar turns to March, bracketologists are feverishly prognosticating what the NCAA selection committee will do on selection Sunday and teams are looking to pad their résumés. After taking on one of the most difficult non-conference schedules in school history and holding its own despite a wave on injuries in a rugged SEC season, Texas A&M looks to have a strong case for an at large bid for the NCAA Tournament. Here's a look at the Aggies' résumé (as of March 3).
• No. 24 in RPI (NCAA.com)
• No. 5 in Average Opponent RPI (79)
• No. 5 in Non-Conference RPI
• No. 10 in Overall Strength of Schedule
• 13-10 Record vs. Teams in Quadrant 1 & 2 with 0 Quadrant 4 losses
• After an injury-plagued 0-5 start in league play, Texas A&M finished 9-4 in the SEC which is regarded as one of the nation’s top conferences this season
• 26 man games lost to injury this season. A&M not had a player missing due to injury in only 12 games.