HUNTSVILLE – The Sam Houston State men’s basketball team heads back out on the road for a Saturday (Dec. 1) matchup against the Little Rock Trojans in Little Rock, Arkansas Tipoff at Jack Stephens Center is scheduled for 3 p.m.
GAME 9 – SHSU (3-5) at Little Rock (3-4)
Date & Time: Saturday, Dec. 1 • 3 p.m.
Location: Little Rock, Ark.
Site: Jack Stephens Center
Follow Along: Little Rock All-Access • Radio • Live Stats • Twitter
SHSU MBB: Game Notes | 2018-19 Quick Facts | 2018-19 Record Book | MBB Home Page
· Junior transfer Chad Bowie led the Bearkats and went off for a career-high 21 points, in large part to a 3-for-5 effort from beyond the three-point arc, against Central Michigan on Wednesday. The newcomer drilled eight field goals and sank two free throws in the contest.
· Albert Almanza is just two games away from reaching the 100-game mark. The senior has made 98 appearances and 26 starts over the course of his career. The only other Bearkat on the squad to eclipse 100 games played is Josh Delaney, who has made 106 appearances.
· Grabbing hold of a more prominent role this season, Cameron Delaney leads the squad with 94 total points and 11.8 points per game. The senior has knocked down double figures in all but three games this season – including a 21-point performance against ETBU (11/6) and 20-point show at Louisiana Tech (11/11).
· The Bearkats have out-scored their opponents 288-260 in the first half so far this season. Heading into halftime, Sam Houston has held leads over ETBU, Southwestern (Texas), Jackson State, East Tennessee State and Central Michigan.
· Crashing the boards, newcomer Kai Mitchell ranks second in the Southland Conference with 58 rebounds. Fellow newcomer RJ Smith, who has tallied 53 boards through eight games, follows closely behind at fifth overall.
· Earlier this season, senior Josh Delaney moved into seventh all-time in Sam Houston State career three-pointers. Boasting 154 treys over the course of his career, he needs 28 threes to move into sixth overall.
· The Bearkats have forced double-digit turnovers in seven of their eight games this season. The only game where Sam Houston has not done so was against East Tennessee State, where the squad forced Seven. The team forced 21 turnovers against Southwestern (Texas) and forced 17 against both Louisiana Tech (11/11) and Central Michigan (11/28)
· Making an impact on the defensive side of the ball as well, Chad Bowie ties for second in the league and 62nd in the NCAA with 14 steals this season.
· After boasting a .715 average in free throws last season, Sam Houston State has shown improvement from the free-throw line. Through eight games, the Bearkats are shooting 73.9 percent – making 85 of 115 free throws.
Little Rock – Series tied 3-3
Meeting for the first time in 1985, the Bearkats and Trojans both have three wins and three losses. Sam Houston won the inaugural meeting, 61-56, and won the next meeting a year later before dropping three-straight contests. Sam Houston State won the last meeting between the two squads, 57-55, last season on Dec. 15, 2017.
Tipoff at Little Rock is slated for 3 p.m. at Jack Stephens Center. Live stats, a live stream and a radio broadcast will be available for the game. For all the latest information on the Sam Houston State men’s basketball team, visit gobearkats.com or follow @BearkatsMBB on Twitter.