HUNTSVILLE – After a five-game road swing, the Sam Houston State men’s basketball team (3-4) returns home to Johnson Coliseum to face Central Michigan in a 6:30 p.m. matchup on Wednesday, Nov. 28.
Live stats, as well as broadcasts on ESPN+ and 90.5 FM KHSU, will be available for the contest.
GAME 8 – SHSU (3-4) vs. Central Michigan (5-1)
Date & Time: Wednesday, Nov. 28 • 6:30 p.m.
Location: Huntsville, Texas
Site: Johnson Coliseum
Follow Along: ESPN+ • Radio (90.5 FM KHSU) • Live Stats • Twitter
SHSU MBB: Game Notes | 2018-19 Quick Facts | 2018-19 Record Book | MBB Home Page
· Racking up 185 boards through seven games, Sam Houston leads the Southland Conference and ties for 23rd in the nation in total rebounds. Newcomer Kai Mitchell paces the pack with 53 – which ranks second in the league – and sophomore RJ Smith follows closely behind with 45 on the season.
· Averaging 77.7 percent from the free-throw line, the Bearkats rank 24th in the nation and second in the Southland Conference in free-throw percentage. Sam Houston has knocked down 73 shots in 94 attempts.
· Making the most out of his minutes, Chad Bowie ranks second in the league and ties for 43rd in the nation with 13 steals. He picked up a season-high five steals against ETBU in the Kats’ season opener on Nov. 6.
· Kai Mitchell knocked down a season-high 16 points in the Bearkats’ most recent game at East Tennessee State (Nov. 20). While facing the Buccaneers, he brought in eight defensive rebounds and went 2-for-3 from the free throw line.
· Senior Josh Delaney, who has racked up 152 career three-pointers, now ranks seventh in career threes in the Sam Houston record books. He drilled eight three-pointers during the Cayman Island Classic and he now sits 29 treys away from Derrick Preston (181) in sixth.
· After being on the road for five straight games, the Bearkats return home for their first game at Johnson Coliseum in almost one month. Sam Houston is 2-0 at home during the 2018-19 season with wins coming against ETBU and Southwestern (Texas).
· Bearkat senior Cameron Delaney sits at No. 10 in the Southland Conference with 81 points this season. He leads the squad with 11.6 points per game and has reached double figures four times this season.
· Sam Houston leads the Southland Conference with 102 assists through seven games. The Kats, who average 14.57 assists per game, are led by Chad Bowie who ranks fourth in the league with 28.
· Sam Houston shot a season-high 40.9 percent from beyond the three-point arc at East Tennessee State (Nov. 20). The Bearkats posted a 9-for-22 effort during the contest with Josh Delaney hitting three treys. RJ Smith and Albert Almanza both hit a pair of threes while Cameron Delaney and Marcus Harris drilled one apiece.
· The Bearkats’ have forced double-digit turnovers in six of their seven games this season. The only game where Sam Houston has not done so was against East Tennessee State, where the squad forced seven.
Central Michigan – CMU leads 1-0
Sam Houston and Central Michigan met for the first time on Nov. 22, 2017, at the Great Alaska Shootout in Anchorage, Ak. Sam Houston had three players reach double figures – Jamal Williams, Christopher Galbreath Jr., and Albert Almanza – but the Bearkats could not overcome a 12-point halftime deficit and dropped the contest, 71-60.
Tip-off on Wednesday is slated for 6:30 p.m. at Johnson Coliseum. Live stats, a video broadcast on ESPN+ and radio broadcast on 90.5 FM KHSU will be available for the contest. For all the latest information on the Sam Houston State men’s basketball team, visit gobearkats.com or follow @BearkatsMBB on Twitter.