COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) - Chastadie Barrs scored 23 points, Miya Crump added 20 and Lamar knocked off No. 17 Texas A&M 74-68 on Thursday in a rare non-conference home loss for the Aggies.
Aaliyah Wilson led Texas A&M with 17 points and a game-high nine rebounds while fellow sophomore Kayla Wells added 16 points, but the Aggies (4-2) saw their 10-game home winning streak snapped as they fell to 164-7 against unranked teams at home (103-9 vs. non-conference foes) dating to 2005.
The Cardinals (5-3) trailed briefly in the second quarter, but took a 39-35 lead into the second half and ended the game with 10 steals while Texas A&M wound up with 20 turnovers. The Aggies also missed their only 3-point attempt while the Cardinals made 7 of 23 attempts.
Moe Kinard gave Lamar its biggest lead with a layup to make it 65-53 with 8:26 left in the game and the Cardinals hung on. Cheah Rael-Whitsitt's free throw got Texas A&M within 67-64 with 2:27 left, but Barrs answered with a layup and Lamar made enough free throws in the final moments to seal the win and improve to 9-15 against the Aggies.
· Texas A&M falls to 4-2 on the season, while Lamar improves to 5-3
· The loss snaps the Aggies’ 10-game home winning streak, which had been the second-longest active streak in the SEC
· Texas A&M did not attempt a 3-point field goal until the final 30 seconds of the game.
· This was the Aggies’ sixth Elementary School Day game. The Aggies are 4-2 on Elementary School Day, and each game has had 7,000+ fans in attendance
· Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair is 361-153 in 16 seasons in Aggieland. He is 769-316 in his Hall of Fame career, which ranks eighth among active coaches.
· Scored 10+ points for the fifth time in six games this season and the ninth time in her collegiate career
· Set her career-high with nine rebounds
· Scored double-figure points for the fourth time this season and the sixth time in her collegiate career
· Matched her career-high with 16 points and set her career-high with eight rebounds
· Scored 10+ points for the fifth time in six games this season
· Made her first start at Texas A&M