BATON ROUGE – The No. 19 Texas A&M men's tennis team won its 19th straight regular season SEC match with a 5-2 triumph over LSU (13-5, 1-4 SEC) followed by their 11th straight win of the season with a 7-0 victory over New Orleans (6-7) Saturday at the LSU Tennis Complex.
“LSU is a much improved team this year and as I predicted we were in for a fight from the beginning,” Texas A&M head coach Steve Denton said. “I thought they jumped on us at one and two doubles and we just couldn’t recover so give all the credit to them in the doubles. Our guys fought back winning those first sets to turn the tide and in the top three positions we were able to win straight set matches which changed the momentum back in our favor. As in so many of these matches, the fourth point is very elusive to attain and the third sets in the remaining matches were a roller coaster ride. Proud of Noah [Schachter] and Barney [Smith] for staying tough late in the third sets today. It was a very impressive performance from both of them, they knew we needed that fourth point and they were both able to get wins. Noah saved six match points to secure his third set tiebreaker win.”
The Aggies (14-3, 5-0 SEC) earned the win over LSU through singles wins from freshman Noah Schachter, junior Valentin Vacherot and sophomores Hady Habib, Carlos Aguilar and Barnaby Smith.
Habib, ranked 120 nationally, earned the first point of the day for the Aggies as he defeated LSU’s Rafael Wagner 6-4, 7-6(5) on court two. Habib has won 10 of his 12 matches since rejoining the team in January
The Maroon & White picked up their second point with a 7-6(2), 6-1 triumph on court three by Vacherot, ranked No. 38, over LSU’s Malik Bhatnagar. The right-hander picked up his seventh straight win and improved to 5-0 in league matches.
Aguilar pushed the A&M advantage to 3-1 with a 6-4, 6-3 win over LSU’s Shane Monroe, ranked No. 112, on court one. The La Paz, Bolivia native earned his third ranked win of the year and improved to 13-8 this year.
Smith, ranked No. 58, clinched the team win for the Aggies with a 6-7(3), 6-2, 6-2 win on court four over LSU’s Boris Kozlov on court four. Smith is an impressive 12-1 this spring having won 13 of his last 14 matches including the clincher against No. 1 Ohio State this week.
Schachter tacked on the fifth point of the match for A&M with a 6-3, 4-6, 7-6(7) win on court five. The Wesley Chapel, Florida native, earned his fourth straight win to improve to 14-5 this year and 5-0 in SEC matches.
The Aggies followed up the win over LSU with a sweep against New Orleans, turning their win streak up to 11. A&M opened the match with the doubles point behind victories from the duos of Jack Pulliam and Austin Abbrat on court two and Kevin Lam and Habib on court one.
In singles action against the Privateers, A&M picked up wins by Habib, Alex Vedri, Abbrat, Pranav Kumar, Jack Pulliam and Lam.
Following the trip to the Pelican State, the Aggies return to the Mitchell Tennis Center for a matchup against No. 21 Oklahoma at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19.
Visit 12thMan.com for more information on Texas A&M men's tennis. Aggie fans also can keep up to date with the A&M men's tennis team on Twitter by following @AggieMTEN or on Facebook at Facebook.com/AggieMensTennis.
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M vs LSU
Mar 16, 2019 at Baton Rouge, La.
(LSU Tennis Complex)
#19 Texas A&M 5, #38 LSU 2
1. Juan Carlos Aguilar (TAMU) def. #112 Shane Monroe (LSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. #120 Hady Habib (TAMU) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
3. #38 Valentin Vacherot (TAMU) def. Malik Bhatnagar (LSU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
4. #58 Barnaby Smith (TAMU) def. Boris Kozlov (LSU) 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 6-2
5. Noah Schachter (TAMU) def. Joey Thomas (LSU) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (9-7)
6. Nick Watson (LSU) def. Guido Marson (TAMU) 6-4, 6-4
1. #43 Rafael Wagner/Joey Thomas (LSU) def. Juan Carlos Aguilar/Barnaby Smith (TAMU) 6-3
2. Shane Monroe/Daniel Moreno (LSU) def. Valentin Vacherot/Alex Vedri (TAMU) 6-4
3. Hady Habib/Kevin Lam (TAMU) def. Boris Kozlov/Nick Watson (LSU) 6-3
Texas A&M 13-3 5-0; National ranking #19
LSU 13-5 1-4; National ranking #38
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,3,1,6,4,5)
Tennis Match Results
New Orleans vs Texas A&M
3/16/2019 at New Orleans, LA
(LSU Tennis Complex)
#19 Texas A&M 7, New Orleans 0
1. #120 Hady Habib (TAMU) def. Mats Westkamp (UNO) 6-3, 7-6
2. Alex Vedri (TAMU) def. Misha Fomenkov (UNO) 6-3, 6-0
3. Austin Abbrat (TAMU) def. Johannes Klein (UNO) 6-2, 6-4
4. Pranav Kumar (TAMU) def. Samuel Armand (UNO) 6-2, 6-4
5. Jack Pulliam (TAMU) def. Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 6-4, 6-3
6. Kevin Lam (TAMU) def. Odysseas Papaioannou (UNO) 6-2, 6-4
1. Hady Habib/Kevin Lam (TAMU) def. Mats Westkamp/Misha Fomenkov (UNO) 6-3
2. Jack Pulliam/Austin Abbrat (TAMU) def. Johannes Klein/Samuel Armand (UNO) 6-2
3. Pranav Kumar/Alex Vedri (TAMU) vs. Nicolas Kramer/Odysseas Papaioannou (UNO) 5-3, unfinished
New Orleans 6-7
Texas A&M 14-3; National ranking #19