Gary Blair Notches 750th Win, As No. 22 Women’s Basketball Beats SMU, 79-57
Chennedy Carter scored 28 points, Anriel Howard had 15 points and 16 rebounds, and No. 22 Texas A&M cruised to a 79-57 victory over SMU on Thursday night.
The Aggies (11-3) rebounded from an 84-62 loss to No. 10 Oregon on Dec. 21, and opens Southeastern Conference play at fourth-ranked South Carolina on Sunday.
Carter was 10 of 18 from the field, hitting four 3-pointers, and Howard collected her 21st career double-double. Danni Williams added 14 points and Khaalia Hillsman had 13.
Kiara Perry scored 11 points to lead SMU (6-7).
The Aggies took the lead for good midway through the first half and built a 38-23 halftime advantage. Carter scored 14 points, Hillsman added nine points and Howard had seven points and nine rebounds in the first half. Texas Tech had a 30-point lead at the end of the third quarter. The Mustangs cut the deficit to 18 with 3:37 remaining.
· Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair becomes the 11th Division I women’s basketball head coach to amass 750 career wins. Only seven active coaches have won 750 career games.
· He joins Pat Summitt, Tara VanDerveer, Geno Auriemma, Sylvia Hatchell, C. Vivian Stringer, Jody Conradt, Jim Foster, Robin Selvig, Muffet McGraw and Andy Landers as coaches who have won 750 career games.
· Texas A&M improves to 11-3 on the season, while SMU falls to 6-7.
· The Aggies are now 8-2 at home this season, and 62-12 at home since the start of the 2013-14 season. The Aggies are 154-5 against unranked teams at home since Feb. 2005.
· Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair is 342-144 in 15 seasons at Texas A&M and is 750-307 in his Hall of Fame career, which is seventh among active coaches in career wins and 11th all-time.
· The Aggies are 47-2 all-time when leading after three quarters
· The Aggies lead the all-time series 28-18, and have won six of the last seven meetings against SMU
· Had her sixth 20+ point game of the season
· Has scored in double digits in all 14 games in her career. She is the only Texas A&M freshman to start her career with 14 straight double figure scoring games.
· Tied Michell Tatum (1981-85, 710) for ninth on Texas A&M’s career rebound list with 710
· Scored in double figures for 11th time this season and the 55th time in her career
· Made her 89th straight start for Texas A&M
· Passes Adaora Elonu (2008-12, 728 rebounds) for seventh on Texas A&M’s career rebound list with 743
· Had her ninth straight game of 10+ rebounds, and her 13th in 14 games this season. She has 41 career 10+ rebound games
· Scored 10+ points for the ninth time this season and the 29th time in her career
· Had her eighth double double of the season, and the 21st of her career. She holds the Texas A&M career record with 21 double doubles.
· Scored in double figures for the 12th time this season and the 43rd time in her career