COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Aggie Basketball Game #8:
#7 Texas A&M (7-0) vs. Arizona (5-3)
Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2017 · 8:00 p.m. (CT)
Talking Stick Resort Arena (18,422) · Phoenix, Ariz.
TELEVISION: ESPN2 (For more info – 12thMan.com/TV)
Dave Pasch, Play-by-Play
Bill Walton, Commentary
RADIO: WTAW 1620 AM (Bryan-College Station)
Dave South, Play-by-Play
Al Pulliam, Commentary
SATELLITE RADIO: Sirius Ch. 84 / XM Ch.84
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: 12thman.com/live
LIVE MOBILE LIVE STATS: tamustats.com
No. 7 Texas A&M returns to the court Tuesday night at Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix where it faces Arizona at 8 p.m. (CT) during the Valley of the Sun Shootout.
Tuesday’s contest will be televised on ESPN2 with Dave Pasch calling the play-by-play action and Bill Walton providing color commentary. Additionally, radio coverage will be available on the Aggie Sports Network, which can be heard locally in the Bryan/College Station area on WTAW (1620 AM).
The match-up between the Aggies and Wildcats will be the early match of a college basketball doubleheader which will also feature Grand Canyon University taking on St. Johns in the event’s nightcap.
Texas A&M remains one of the nation’s few reaming unbeaten squads after winning its first seven affairs to mark the programs best start since the 2005-06 Aggies began 10-0.
Arizona, meanwhile, enters the contest with a 5-3 overall record after winning 91-88 in overtime Saturday at UNLV. The team’s only three losses came during a three-day stretch at the Battle4Atlantis in the Bahamas after the Wildcats rose to No. 2 in the Associated Press Top 25.
The Wildcats, who reached the Sweet 16 last spring, represented the fourth team from the 2017 NCAA Tournament that the Aggies will have faced in the opening weeks of this season. A&M has already notched wins over recent tournament teams West Virginia, Oklahoma State and USC.
SETTING THE SCENE / NOTABLES
• The Aggies face another difficult challenge away from College Station on Tuesday as they travel to Phoenix to battle Arizona inside Talking Stick Arena.
• Just a couple weeks into the season, A&M has quickly built one of the country's most impressive résumés with four wins over four high-major opponents - West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Penn State and USC … The Aggies remain the only team nationally to have notched four wins vs. high-major opponents at this point in the season.
• The Aggies rank No. 1 in ESPN's RPI (.7692) report on Dec 2.
• In its Dec. 3 edition, Kenpom.com rate the Aggies as one of the nation's elite defensive teams by slotting them fourth in adjusted defensive efficiency (89.7) ... on the offensive end, Texas A&M has also been one of the country's best, checking in at No. 16 in Kenpom.com's adjusted offensive efficiency ... overall, kenpom.com ranks the Aggies seventh in its College Basketball rating.
A WIN VS. ARIZONA WOULD...
• The Aggies would continue their best start under head coach Billy Kennedy ... The last A&M team to start better than 8-0 was the 2005-06 squad which began 10-0.
• Give A&M its third win over a team that was ranked in the Preseason AP Top 25 (No. 11 West Virginia, No. 10 USC and No. Arizona).
SERIES HISTORY VS ARIZONA (ARIZONA LEADS 7-1)
• The Aggies and Wildcats have met eight previous times in men's basketball, most recently on Dec. 17 of last second inside the Toyota Center in Houston.
• During last year's meeting, Tyler Davis scored 21 points for the Aggies, who fell behind by as many as 22 before mounting a furious comeback with an 18-0 run that whittled the Wildcat lead down to just two, 65-63, with 22 seconds to play.
• Prior to last season, the most recent contest between the schools came on Dec. 5, 2008 when A&M erased a 40-29 halftime deficit to defeat Arizona 67-66 inside Reed Arena ... Nathan Walkup hit a 3-pointer with 20 seconds to provide the final heroics in the come-from-behind victory.
• The first games between the schools took place with a pair of matchups (in San Antonio and Tucson) during the 1949-50 season. The Wildcats earned the win in each contest.
• A&M's Billy Kennedy has faced the Wildcats just once as a head coach.
UP NEXT AFTER THE ARIZONA GAME
The Aggies return to Reed Arena where they will host Prairie View A&M at 3:30 p.m. ... the game will be available digitally on SEC Network PLUS.