NASHVILLE, Tenn.— Texas A&M used a strong defensive effort and led wire-to-wire, defeating Vanderbilt 50-43 in a women’s basketball game at Memorial Gym.
The Aggies (12-4, 1-2 SEC) held Vanderbilt to 43 points and 29.1% shooting, both of which are the lowest for a Texas A&M opponent in a conference game since 2016.
Chennedy Carter led the Aggies with 27 points, matching her season-high. She had her 33rd career 20+ point game, tying Courtney Walker (2012-16) for the Texas A&M school record. Kayla Wells added 11 points and N’dea Jones had 13 rebounds.
The Aggies expanded on a 22-18 halftime lead with a 13-4 run after intermission, as Carter scored nine points in the run. Vanderbilt cut the lead to a single point twice in the second half, but never took the lead.
Mariella Fasoula and Autumn Newby co-led Vanderbilt (5-11, 0-3 SEC) with 14 points each.
The Aggies return to action on Sunday, January 13 to host Alabama at 1 p.m. on ESPNU.
· Texas A&M is 12-4 on the season and 1-2 in SEC play. Vanderbilt falls to 5-11 overall and 0-3 in SEC play
· Texas A&M held Vanderbilt to just 43 points, the fewest A&M has allowed in a conference game since allowing 35 at LSU on Jan. 10, 2016.
· Held Vanderbilt to 29.1% shooting, the lowest for a Texas A&M opponent in an SEC game since holding Ole Miss to 22.5% on Feb. 15, 2016
· This is Texas A&M’s first win while scoring 50-or-fewer points since defeating South Carolina 50-48 on Feb. 10, 2013
· The Aggies have won five straight games against Vanderbilt. No player on the roster has lost to Vanderbilt in their A&M career.
· Texas A&M is 67-6 all-time when leading after three quarters
· Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair is 369-155 in 16 seasons in Aggieland. He is 777-318 in his Hall of Fame career, which ranks seventh among active coaches in career wins
· Matched her season-high with 27 points
· Had her 33rd career 20+ point game, tying Courtney Walker (2012-16) for the Texas A&M school record
· Had her ninth 20+ point game of the season and her fifth in her past six games.
· Scored in double figures for the 23rd consecutive game and the 48th time in 49 career games
· Scored 10+ points for the 12th time in 16 games this season
· Had 10+ rebounds for the 10th time this season