HOUSTON- Texas A&M used another hot start to take control early, defeating Houston 68-52 in the first women’s basketball game in the Cougars’ newly-renovated Fertitta Center.
The Aggies (5-2) rattled off an 8-0 run from the opening tip, forcing Houston to miss their first eight shots, holding the Cougars without a point for the first five minutes of the game. The Aggies would never trail in the contest, rattling off a 15-0 run early in the third quarter after the Cougars (4-6) cut the deficit to 26-23 at halftime.
Chennedy Carter had her fourth 20+ point game of the season, leading the Aggies with a season-high 25. Aaliyah Wilson added 18, including the first points by a woman inside the Fertitta Center. Ciera Johnson had 11 and N’dea Jones picked up her fourth double double of the season with 10 points and a team-high 13 rebounds.
Jasmyne Harris led the Cougars with 17 points, while Octavia Barnes added 13. Texas A&M outscored the Cougars 34-18 in the painted area.
The Aggies return to action on Saturday, December 8, hosting Central Arkansas at 2 p.m. inside Reed Arena.
· The Aggies improve to 5-2 on the season, while the Cougars fall to 4-6
· The Aggies debuted a patch that honors the memory of President George H.W. Bush, who was buried on Texas A&M’s campus earlier today.
· Texas A&M has won each of the last four matchups in the series against Houston
· Houston is the sixth opponent in seven games that Texas A&M held without a field goal for at least five minutes of game time.
· Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair is 362-153 in 16 seasons in Aggieland. He is 770-316 in his Hall of Fame career, which ties him for seventh with Little Rock coach Joe Foley among active coaches.
· Set her season-high with 25 points.
· Scored 20+ points for the fourth time this season. She has 28 career 20+ point games, which ranks third on Texas A&M’s career chart.
· Scored 10+ points for the 16th straight game and the 41st time in 42 career games
· Needs 65 more points to become the 31st Texas A&M player with 1,000 career points
· Scored 10+ points for the fourth straight game and fifth time this season
· First woman to score points in the Fertitta Center
· Scored 10+ points for the fifth straight game and the 10th time in her collegiate career
· Notched her fourth double double of the season
· Scored 10+ points for the fourth time this season
· Had 10+ rebounds for the fourth time this season