COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- The Texas A&M men's basketball team looks to keep rolling at Reed as it hosts UC Irvine Friday night. The Aggies are coming off of a 98-83 win over Savannah State on Wednesday night. The victory was the program's 19th consecutive season-opening win. UC Irvine also started the season in the win column as the Anteaters topped Idaho at home Tuesday night. Tickets for the game can be purchased here. It is also Football Friday at Reed Arena, fans with their ticket to Saturday's football game will receive free admittance to the men's basketball game.
SEASON TICKETS ON SALE NOW
An affordable, family entertainment option, season tickets for Aggie Basketball are available for as low as $100. Annual per seat contributions are required for some seating areas of Reed Arena. Buy season tickets today by calling 888-992-4443 or at www.12thMan.com/Tickets.
Texas A&M Quick Hits
• Savion Flagg matched or set a new career high in five different categories, leading the Aggies in scoring and rebounding in the season opener.
• The win over Savannah State marked the 18th consecutive season Texas A&M has started the year with a victory.
• The Aggies saw five newcomers make their Texas A&M debut against Savannah State, including Brandon Mahan, Christian Mekowulu, Josh Nebo, Zach Walker and John Walker III.
• TJ Starks earned a spot on the Coaches Preseason All-SEC Second Team, announced by the league Tuesday.
• This is the fifth time in the last six years the Aggies have faced a "48-hour" turnaround during regular season non-tournament style play. They have not dropped a game in this scenario.
• Admon Gilder and classmate Chris Collins are the only returning scholarship student-athletes on the roster to have played more than one season at Texas A&M.
• Texas A&M is coming off of its second Sweet 16 appearance in three seasons, after earning its 14th NCAA Tournament bid.
• Wednesday marks the third all-time meeting between the Anteaters and Aggies, as each team as a win in the series.
• The two teams first met in December 1980, when UC Irvine topped the then-No. 12 Aggies, 91-74 in Montana.
• Texas A&M evened the series in the most recent meeting. Ranked No. 11, the Aggies picked up an 88-66 victory over the Anteaters in College Station on Dec. 22, 2007.
Flagg Has Career Night in Opener
• Sophomore Savion Flagg put on a show in the season-opening win over Savannah State, setting new career high in five different categories.
• Flagg led A&M with 24 points and 16 rebounds to record the second double-double of his career. Ten of his team-best points total came off of dunks.
Newcomers Shine in Debuts
• Five newcomers saw the floor for the Aggies in the season opener, including Brandon Mahan, Christian Mekowulu, Josh Nebo, Zach Walker and John Walker III.
• Mekowulu earned the start in his first game in the Maroon & White, nearing a double-double with nine points and 14 rebounds.
• Walker III and Nebo gave the Aggies a lift off the bench as they each scored 10 points and combined for five blocks.
• The Aggies are now 50-23 all-time since 1945 in season openers.
• Texas A&M has claimed 19 consecutive season openers, after defeating Savannah State, 98-83.
• Last year's opener against West Virginia at the Armed Forces Classic was the first time through 17 straight seasons that the Aggies did not open the year at home.
Reed Arena Success
• The Aggies are in their 21st season at Reed Arena. They boast a 249-84 (.748) all-time record in their current home venue. They were 41-41 in the first six years at Reed and are 208-43 (.829) since.
• In the last five seasons, Texas A&M is 72-15 (.826) on its home floor.
• The Aggies have won 165 of their last 191 home games against unranked opponents.
• Texas A&M went 7-0 in non-conference games at Reed Arena last season, and is 153-14 all-time (.916) since hosting its first basketball game in 1998.
Aggie Basketball Game #2:
UC Irvine (1-0) at Texas A&M (1-0)
Friday, Nov. 9, 2018 • 8:30 p.m. (CT)
Reed Arena (12,989) • College Station, Texas
TELEVISION: SEC Network Plus
Will Johnson, Play-by-Play
Tap Bentz, Commentary
RADIO: KZNE 1150 AM (Bryan-College Station)
Andrew Monaco, Play-by-Play
John Thornton, Commentary
SATELLITE RADIO: Sirius XM Ch. 384/Internet: 975
LIVE AUDIO/STATS: 12thman.com/live
LIVE MOBILE LIVE STATS: tamustats.com